Finding an Airtight Stopper for Bathtub Overflow Drain?

I have a bathtub in my basement that is directly underneath my kitchen. The kitchen and bathtub drainpipes must connect underneath the basement floor, and the bathtub drain regularly (every six months) starts backing up with waste water from the kitchen.

I'm installing a sealable stopper on the bathtub drain to prevent backups through the drain, but the tub overflow remains open. Is there a seal/stopper I can buy to prevent air/water from backflowing up the overflow tube when the tub isn't in use? I'm currently the only person using this bathtub/shower, so I'm not worried about safety issues and can disable/remove it if this changes. Thanks!

Best Answer

There are many different kinds you can buy for your tub. Here are some that Amazon sells - www2.thriftyfun.com/.../feedback.lasso?article=tf67499388.

What you should do is go to a plumbing shop in your area with an image of the hole you want to close up and seal. I would also take a photo of this and if you can measure it this would be even better. They are experts and have all the materials needed to do your job. Other than this you can take your chances and order online.

Best Answer

Looks like the link Judy posted is what you are looking for but I'm wondering if you should not try to find out exactly why this is happening as this does not sound like a good thing to me.

Closing/sealing everything off may cause more (different) problems as it appears there is need for this overflow and some sort of backup is causing this to happen.
Plumbing services are very expensive but if you go to an Ace Hardware or maybe a plumbing parts store someone may be able to tell you what you can do to stop this from happening.

Is this what you are looking for?

www.amazon.com/.../B07CSN21KB (Affiliate Link)

Consumer Advice Product FinderNovember 6, 2019
🌻
📓
😎
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-an-Airtight-Stopper-for-Bathtub-Overflow-Drain.html