Soap Scum In Washing Machine

What should I do/use to remove soap film build-up in a top loading washing machine?

By David from Menomonee Falls, WI

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By thunderbabe (Guest Post) 01/31/2005

Hi i use vinigar and baking soda works wonders

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Denise (Guest Post) 09/23/2007

CLR works great also with the soap scum, mineral build up and smelly washer smell.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By annette (Guest Post) 10/14/2007

Our front load washer started stinking and that smell started going into our towels I think it was the soap scum that caused the smell. My sister gave me some cleaner called "Purewasher" that she bought. It only took one tablespoon to remove the scum and fungus. And another tablespoon to get rid of the mildew smell from our towels.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By DEBY 18 145 01/12/2010

A tub full of hot water and CLR works great too and takes out hard water deposits.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Elizabeth 199 02/10/2011

Use the powdered HE (stands for high efficiency) detergent for front loaders. Mine did the same thing until I switched. I use Tide.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Granny2889 7 2 02/10/2011

The removal tips are great. I'd like to add as a prevention that you leave the top up/open after each load. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem with soap scum.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No