Remedy for Puffy Eyes

Does anyone have a magic cure for puffy eyes from crying? Mine are extremely puffy right now to the point where I can't go to work due to embarrassment.

By Marge from Middletown, NY

I get the same thing if I've been crying. Sometimes ice does the trick; so does laying with wet teabags on them for a while. (I think it is the tannic acid in them.) If people ask, I used to be able to sell them "we were using the grill last night; and used lighter fluid, and I got the smoke in my eyes. I must be allergic to it!"

Hope whatever is making your heart heavy works out!

Marge, I am so sorry for whatever is causing your tears but a cold compress always helps. Ice, cold wet teabags, cool cucumber slices, or even a cool wet cloth will help reduce the puffiness of crying eyes.

I have tons of legitimate allergies and and am often critical of those who claim anything odd as an "allergy". But if something has made you feel so sad, I'm for anything that will help you feel better and get you through the next day without embarrassment.

If the tears keep coming, please find a friend, pastor or doctor that can help you find smiles again. Take care. Okay?

Mine do the same thing. I am a mess when I cry. I am sorry something has made you so sad but I never found anything that would help. Sometimes a white lie will help. Make up a nonexistant friend who has just passed away in another state and go on to work. Take tissues with you. She was too young to die and you had so many good times together. You need to keep private things private until you come to grips. I hope there is someone you can turn to when it is safe to cry again.

I hope what ever got you down there is something to bring you back up. But Ice works if you use a damp wash cloth with it so you do not damage your skin. And to let you know we have all been there I try to take deep breaths and call someone who cares.

You have to wash the salt that comes from the tears, away from the eyes and skin. You get better results washing with warm water rather than cold water. Then you could try slices of raw potato on the skin. If you have got any gel type skin treatments, they might help.

Just say that you have an allergy or an eye infection and wear sunglasses to work. Say that the light makes your eyes hurt.

I'm an expert on this subject. This time of year, as the daffodils are coming out, I can just cry over absolutely nothing for hours. I keep thinking about sad stories, and I mean fictional stories, and start crying all over again. I am being silly and illogical! I don't know why this happens but perhaps you have something similar.

May 20, 2011 Flag

Please help me. I am a 64 yr. old woman with hooded eyelids. It runs in the family. Does anyone know of a home remedy or product that can help me? They are more severe in allergy season.

By Ann

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ann, I left a message on your account page.

Ann, I also have hereditary hooded eyes and when they become extra puffy I lay down with a slice of cold cucumber on each for a few minutes and it helps so much. If someone gives you the advise to use Preparation H do not do it! There are chemicals in it that product that are quite harmful to use around your eyes. It used to be safe but the manufacturers have changed the chemicals in it that are now only safe to use for it's original purpose.

I have under eye puffiness and eyelid puffiness when I'm tired or ate too much salt. I use the under eye anti-puffiness products and I put them on my eyelids as well. I do notice a difference. As Deeli mentioned, cucumber works really well too! and for sure don't use Preparation H.

October 30, 2012 Flag

I have puffy eye lids, so puffy that I don't have a place to put eyeshadow if I wanted to. Does anyone know how to shrink my puffiness? Hopefully someone has a home remedy.

By Joyce

It sounds crazy, but Preparation H! Years ago I had heard its what the models use to reduce puffiness!

If you haven't always had puffy eyelids, see your doctor. I had them and attributed them to aging or weight gain, but I found out I was hypothyroid. After getting the right treatment, the puffiness went away!

Woman with puffy eyes using eye drops.
Remedies for Puffy Eyes
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceFebruary 16, 2011
Homemade Jelly (Puffy Paint) Accessories
Girl with puffy hair.
Styling Puffy Hair
Little girl painting.
Homemade Puffy Paint
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
🎉
🎄