Instead of Buying, Make Them at Home

Money is limited for many right now. My money saving idea for holiday gifts is to make as many gifts as possible. Examples: homemade business cards, mixes in gift jars, home canned preserves and/or salsa, home baked pies, cakes, cookies.

For my sister in law I baked her favorite cake from scratch. (German chocolate)

My brother loves to cook, so I made him an apron. I made hot chocolate mixes, other beverage mixes, pancake mixes, etc. to give as gifts too. Lots of compliments. Takes a little thought but is worth the effort.

Gather the information you need by just listening to conversations. Most of the time that's how I get my information. Then when I get home I jot it down so I'll remember for later.

By Darlene from North Street, MI

Showing: Comments Sort

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,125 Flag

This is a great idea. My husband and I used to craft a lot and so therefore made a lot of gifts. We haven't done it in a long time. Now I'd be more inclined to make food baskets, cookie mix in a jar, etc as everyone has so many do-daddy items. I think homemade gifts are not only thoughtful but more appreciated!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

WE TOO DO THE SAME.I FOUND A WICKER BASKET AT OUR LOCAL THRIFT STORE AND FILLED IT WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT JAR MIXES AND A COUPLE OF KITCHEN TOWELS I FOUND AT OUR DOLLAR STORE AND A FEW PACKAGE OF KOOL AID AND HOT CHOCOLATE FOR A FRIEND OF OUR WHO HAS KIDS. THIS GAVE THEM ALL SOMETHING TO DO TOGETHER

AND SOME GRAT TREATS AS WELL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My husband and I live in GA while our families live in KY & IN. What is the best way to travel with "gift jars"?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

you could use an old box or laundry basket.

to set your gift basket(or jars)in. and use clothing or towels to pad around them so they won't jiggle and get busted

(i'm assuming you mean your are driving to see you families?) i also use zip lock baggies and my food saver to put my mixes in and attach the recipe to the outside of them and set them in my little wicker basket. no one seems to mind, they are just happy with the wonderful things i've put in

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Holidays and Parties Gifts HomemadeFebruary 28, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Buying an eBook Reader, Someone using an eBook reader.
Buying an eBook Reader
used car dealership
Buying a Used Car
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:58:41 AM on 10.0.1.6 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings