Preparing Carrots for Storage

We grow a lot of carrots and I like to keep some in long term storage as we live in central Canada where fresh produce is imported and expensive during the winter.

When we dig the carrots in fall, we remove any excess soil and cut off the tops, leaving about one half inch of greens to prevent "bleeding." We then toss them in the automatic washer on cold and they come out beautifully clean! Don't wash very large ones like this - the agitator will damage them, but carrots up to about 8 inches work in my washer. I don't know if this would work with a front loading machine or not.

After the carrots are washed, we cut the remaining green part off completely, as well as the root tip. We then line the bottom of a plastic box (that has a tight fitting lid) with paper towels, and fill it with carrots, placing another towel on top before snapping the lid shut. Store in the fridge and they will keep for months. Change the paper towels now and then when they become very wet.

By preserver from Winnipeg, MB

Have you considered using a food dryer? We dry most of our food and it lasts for years.

We always stored our carrot in the cold basement. We would bury them in a big barrel of sand, and just dig them out over the winter as we needed them.

I love this idea! What I need is one of those walk in refrigerators. lol but as a housewife no way do I truly need one, but I would love it for fruits and veggies. lol you know?

Storing Fresh Carrots
Storing Carrots
Food and Recipes StorageAugust 24, 2009
carrots
Saving Money on Carrots
Canned Carrots
Canning Carrots
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
🎄
🍂