Removing Mildew from a Stuffed Toy

My granddaughter's favorite teddy bear was left wet in a plastic bag. It is now green and black with mold. How can I save it for her?

By Sue from Collierville, TN

Best Answer

Something like this happened with my daughter's favorite toy when she was a toddler. I had that terrible sinking feeling when I found it. I don't think hers was as bad as yours, but this is what I did (as I remember it -- it's been about 7 years).

I know that I used tea tree oil on it. I don't remember if I added it to the wash, or if I soaked it. I had a spray bottle with tea tree oil and water, so I probably just saturated the toy with that and let it sit for a while. I remember that I soaked in Oxy-clean. And hot water for the wash. I probably washed it a couple times.

I might have added Borax to the wash, and I always used vinegar in the rinse. I know that I would not have used chlorine bleach. I don't like chlorine bleach anyway, and I certainly would not have used it on my daughter's toy.

It worked for me. I think it was the tea tree oil and the Oxi-Clean that took care of it. I know that I soaked it for a long time before putting it through the washer. Good luck with your granddaughter's teddy bear.

Anonymous

It's worth trying mrs.Story's idea but if that mold is as bad as it sounds I think it might be better healthwise to try to find a new teddy bear that looks as close as possible to the current one.

Natures miracle the dog spot remover. It took the mold out of a heavy drape I had. Good luck. Nice that you care.