Animal Urine Smell From Furnace

I recently had an animal nesting on top of my furnace and now everytime I turn on the heat the house smells of urine! Aside from getting rid of the furnace, what can I do?

Jessica from Atlanta, GA

I once bought a stove/oven that had been stored in a shed. The mice moved into the oven and when I turned it on to use it, the smell was horrendous! Since mice/rodents actually nest in the insulation that meant that all of it had to be replaced. I would imagine that your furnace has the same material as well as the filters. If you have someone who can do it for you, that's great. Otherwise you will have to pay someone to come out and remove and replace all of the insulation.

Thoroughly clean top and any accessible parts of the furnace, and replace the filter

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 16, 2006
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Furnace Filter
Changing a Furnace Filter
Rodent Trap
Rodent Odor in Walls and Vents
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄