Dog Pees in the House When I'm at Work

My dog is 2. He was crate trained but he pees in the house when I leave him to go to work for 9 hours. How do I stop this he is ruining my carpet?

Erica from Dallas, TX

Best Answer

This isn't a fix, but have you tried confining him in the kitchen while you're gone? We did that until our dog got the message and stopped peeing during the day. At least it will limit the damage.

Some dogs, depending on the age, are too little to hold it for nine hours, so you may have to wait until he matures.

Best Answer

How about installing a doggie door he can use so he can go out to pee. 9 hrs is to long to expect him not to pee.

I have a doggie door but he pees in the same spot if we leave him home alone.

Best Answer

I think that leaving a dog nine hours and not expecting him to have an accident is wishful thinking. I would try to find a neighbor or friend who could let him out during the day for a few minutes. It must be very stressful to him to have to wait so long to be taken out when he has to go and also stressful if he is scolded or punished for something he couldn't help.

Yikes, I know that I can't hold it for nine hours....not sure I can expect my dog to.

To put it simply nine hours is too long. I certainly wouldn't put my dog in a crate for nine hours, obviously you aren't if he is peeing on your rug. If you can find a neighbor that can let him out for you that would be the fix if not, I would find a solution like was mention of confining in the kitchen or putting down papers or pee pads because 9 hrs. is more than he can obviously do that this point.

If you can not be at home to supervise your dog, crate him until you return.

This is Eica again. I cant confine him to the kitchen it is open. the lay out of the house doesnt make this possible. I confine him to 1 room to limit the damage. If I let him have the run of the whole house he can pee anywhere. Again the layout of the house would give him the run of the whole house with a doggie door.

thank you all

Erica

Will baby gates work for the kitchen?

I hire a mid-day walker for my dogs which works well because they will also do a 5:00 walk if I'm going to be a little late.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I have a lttle Dog and she started going on a small scatter rug when i was out so i got some potty papers and put them under the rug and all i do is take the rug up and wash it and change the papers and she goes there all the time OOOO girl i can't hold mine more than an hr how do u think that poor little dog can for 9 hrs

About the dog being in the house for 9 hrs. As others have said that is too long of a time to expect a dog to hold it so if there isn't any one that can help or if you can't afford to hire someone just put pads or newspaper down for him if you can't get home.

I agree most emphatcially with Maya, I did this to a dog we got when we were a lot younger, got an Irish Setter when both of us worked all day and expected the dog to live in an apartment alone.

What fools, you live and learn...learn now, don't have a dog until you can devote time to it and with it!!

They are feeling, needing beings just like us!!!

I agree with fauxpaslover and Maya. If I could not have afforded a dog walking service, I never would have rescued these two.

They depend 100% on us and it is unreasonable to think they can "hold it" for 9 hours. Having a dog is a huge responsibilty and we need to be able to bear the cost to make them comfortable.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

9 hours may be too long, but there are also a lot of dogs out there who do not have homes so what makes you think that giving the dog away is the best solution. I am not really sure of anyone that can just up and quit their job to stay home with the dog...but in no way does that mean you do not love your dog! The way I see it...you have to work and dogs need homes...sometimes you have to take the good with the bad and get a little pee on the carpet...but giving them up...who ever said that...just must have more time and money on their hands then the average Joe!

For those of you that are saying 9 hours is too long for a dog to hold his pee, what do your pets do when you're sleeping at night? Do you wake up in the middle of the night to let them go to the bathroom? I doubt it. My parents have a medium size dog that waits all day to pee, no matter what.

Please don't be too upset by all of the posts by everyone as NONE of us know your situation OR how you have come to own this dog. My parents have a 13 year old dog & both worked full time. Even after 9 hours the dog has never had an accident. I know you are looking for some help & advice, Not to be judged. How about buying child gates & trying to use them to confine the dog. I just read about trying aluminum foil. It said to put it down on the pee spots and also put the water bowl near/on the pee spots. (My dog just started going & she is 5-but I think she is upset we moved into a new house, much bigger for us all, but still I suppose she needs time to adjust) In the mean time, we are in the process of ripping up ALL of the carpets in our new house. (which were all brand new) I suppose until she adjusts we can't have any carpets, even though we are about to have a baby in July!?!?!?! (Will have to get the baby knee pads, ha!!) Animals are really like having another person in the family. Good luck

That's not to long, My lab is very attached to me, and I work from home most of the time, so, I'm with him a lot, he gets mad at me when I leave him, or if he knows I'm not leaving for work, then he gets spiteful and he sometimes pee's on the carpet, it's out of anger that I'm leaving him, he's been completely tested by my vet, they say he's just angry when I leave him. They are like children, especially dogs that are labs,etc.

They become very attached and they hate change, so, I know that look in his eyes when I leave him, especially if I've been home all day with him, he's mad at me that I'm leaving him and his pay back to me is peeing on my carpet, so, I put pee pads down if I see that look in his eyes. My boy is just spoiled and he's almost 7 years old, no reason to be doing what he's doing, like my dog trainer had said, he's mad that there is another dog in the house and he wants to have me all to himself, so, when I leave, he gets angry sometimes and pees out of spite towards me. He only does it once and a while, but, that's why I have a steam cleaner, he's trying to just prove a point to me. Give him some adjustment time.

HI there, didn't hear anyone mention a doggy door? My lab is 11 months old-- completely potty trained-- crate trained him. My husband and I both work during the day and he has complete freedom to go into the backyard with the use of his doggy door. He is inside most of the day, but has the freedom to come and go with his doggy door. He has NEVER had an accident in our house. And whoever said 9 hours is a long time- what do you do when your dog sleeps at night? I would also recommend taking your dog out to potty before he goes to sleep at night, then he will not have to wake you up in the middle of the night to go. Good luck.

My chocolate lab is 7 years old, he only pees on my carpet once in a while, then stops, then starts again, if I'm going to work and he knows I'm going to work, he's fine, it's as soon as I take off for a few hours and it's not all the time, he does it out of spite my vet said, he's mad I'm leaving him. I could see the look in my labs eyes as I was leaving for a few hours tonight, took him out before I left also, I put pee pads down because of the look in his eyes, only gone for 2 hours, he completely peed right next to the pee pads, labs are not dumb dogs and they will spite you when they do not want you to leave. Just have to deal with it. I go to work for 11 hours, come home and he's fine, home all day with him, leave for two hours and he pees right next to the pee pad. He's completely house broken, does this out of spite, always in the same spot, he's used the pee pads before, he purposely went right next to it.

Dogs go through an anxiety when we leave and over stimulated reaction when they anticipate our return.

I have a rescue that use to throw herself into my apt door when I left, and pee and poop, and destroy everything new I brought into the house. I hated her, loved her, resented her, felt sorry for her, was a prisoner in my house, determined to right her wrongs, became depressed because no one had the right answers of what to do, etc.

I was a year in this position when I accidentally met my now current vet over a beer. My life changed that day.

First, after your dogs last pee, bring him in and do not pet him before you leave again. Do not even acknowledge his awareness that you are leaving. Just wait 20 min. then get up and go.

When you come home, do not pat or coo your dog. This teaches them to anticipate your return. Going out and returning home should be an everyday expectation that you do not apologize for. They learn to see this coming and going as routine, rather then upset of the pack breaking up.

This helped me in spades.

I NEVER LEave along for more than two hours take out before I leave not working

cute dog looking guilty
Dog Pees in House When Left Alone
Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 28, 2006
Dog Pees in the House When Excited
Dog Pees in the House When Excited
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
dog in a crate
Adult Dog Pees in Crate
🎄