Dog Pees on Rugs

When your house trained dog begins to pee inside, determining the cause and retraining are in order. It is a good idea to rule out any medical causes. This guide information for when a dog pees on rugs.

How do I keep my dog from peeing on the bathroom rug?

By Danetria from Huntsville, AL

Answers

Best Answer

Your first line of defense is to ban the dog from the bathroom. Beyond that, you will need to first be certain that the floor is clean and the area "nuetralized". We swear by Nature's Miracle. (be sure to follow directions).

Strong cleaners with any type of ammonia will just reinforce the desire. Oxyclean does a great job. Once clean, you will need to limit your dog's ability to visit your bathroom. For him, it is like finding that favorite spot outside to pee.

One more thing you can try is to put well-worn (smelly) t-shirts of your family's down on the spot. This will also help deter the desire to eliminate there.

My dog pees in the house at night, only when we're asleep, and only on a rug (but never in our bedroom where there is wall-to-wall carpeting). I have discovered she often does this only an hour or two after we gave her a walk and then went to bed, so it's not likely to be a full bladder.

She is a 2 year old terrier/mix we got last January from a shelter. We closed off the living room at night, but then she peed on the runner rug in the dining room, so we temporarily removed that. Then she peed on the bathroom rug, so we removed that. Any idea what's going on, or how to fix it?

Mark from Alameda, CA

Answers:

Crate Training

Crate training. I cannot stress how important this is; it will make all the difference to both you and your pet. Dogs are pack and den animals, when they have their own nook to curl up in at night, it makes them feel more secure. We are a foster home for rescued German Shepherds and this has always worked for us.

Our daughter adopted a Collie from the shelter and didn't listen to me about crate training. Several accidents and chewed up shoes later she decided to give it a try. Her dog is much calmer and we don't have to worry about her ransacking the house at night when we are all asleep.

By Irish

Dog Diapers

You can use disposable diapers as a back up. Simply sew a circle and cut out a hole for the tail and either use the adhesive tabs or sew strips of fabric to tie from the belly to the back side. I have 2 dogs in diapers when I go to work, just for security.

By CEIL

Puppy Pad Confusion

I wonder if your dog thinks the rugs are a kind of puppy pad. Maybe when it was younger it was trained on them and now thinks that is an appropriate place to pee. There are all kinds of deterrent sprays you can try. Just look at a place like PetsMart.

Crating is good also, but I had a problem with my terrier. He was a stray, about two years old, and he looked at the crate I tried to put him in like it was an alien. My other two dogs love them though. Maybe try luring him into the crate with food, and try feeding him in there so it's not a punishment place, but a refuge.

By Topo Gigio

Puppy Pads

Maybe you should buy some puppy pads. They really aren't too expensive and it might save your rugs. Just put them on top of the rugs she's been using.

By ThriftyFun

Bladder Infection

Has she been for a complete physical? It might be a bladder infection. I agree with the others. Keep her close to you as much as she wants so she won't feel abandoned as she was before.

By Vic