Browsing: Storing Nuts

Storing Nuts

Walnuts

Store shelled nuts in the refrigerator on the upper shelf will last about a year. Frozen walnuts will be good up to two years. If shelling your own, remove the papery section that is between the two halves-it's bitter.

Pecans

Pecans absorb odors from food--store in airtight containers. Shelled pecans will last about 9 months in the refrigerator and up to 2 years frozen. You can also use them and refreeze without losing taste. In the shell they will keep in a cool, dry location for six to 12 months.

By Chell

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Thank you for this one!

Whenever I buy nuts I put them immediately into the freezer. Who knows how long they were on the shelf in the grocery store before I bought them. In my freezer, I put all the nuts in one area, so I know what I have and don't have. They are also in clear ziploc bags so they are easy to identify. Last January the grocery store was clearing out assorted peanuts and cashews right after Christmas. They came in clear, plastic, awkward containers. I took them out, put them into ziploc sandwich bags and froze them. This Christmas they were wonderful. Great for a snack to take along on a trip, too. By the way, peanut butter freezes wonderfully too.

I always freeze our pecans and walnuts, too. Before adding them to baked goods, I like to warm them in the microwave until they're fragrant, stirring occasionally so they don't burn. Doesn't take long. People always comment on the good taste of nuts in my cookies, etc., so this really gives them a fresh taste.

July 30, 2011 Flag

Nuts, both shelled and un-shelled, should be kept in the freezer. They will last longer and crack easier. Nuts and seeds of all sorts can be served directly from the freezer.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Scattering of pecans in and out of the shell on a white background.
Storing Nuts
Food and Recipes StorageJanuary 22, 2005
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
Glazed Nuts
Glazed Nuts Recipes
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:45:39 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.