Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

How do you remove scuffs from a hardwood floor?

By Mandy

September 24, 2011 Flag

I have wood floors and I have those felt pads on the legs of my chairs in the dining room, yet I have scuff marks on the floor from where the chair gets moved. They are not scratches in the wood, just scuffs. What do I do to get rid of them? I have tried everything and they are still there. Thanks.

By LitaMae from Lawrenceburg, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried a 'magic eraser' type product? That helps on my vinyl floors.

Best of luck to you!

Try cutting a hole in a tennis ball large enough to insert a broom handle. Rub the tennis ball on the marks. This is how it is done at the high school gym in our area. They do this to remove scuff marks left by shoes.

Check and see if something is caught in the felt that may be scuffing your floor. You may need to replace the felt chair leg protectors.

I have tried the magic eraser or my hardwood floor and would not recommend it, as it did slightly change the color of the wood to a lighter shade.

February 29, 2012 Flag

I have black scuff marks on the hardwood floor. They look like scratches. How do I remove them from a hardwood floor? Please advise. Thank you.

By Jace

If they were made with shoes which have rubber soles, you can easily rub them away with just your fingers. If they are scuffs of the other kind you have a couple options.

Rub a walnut on the floor to see if that will remove them. If this doesn't then go to your local hardware store. They make pens specifically designed to cover up or fill in spots on any wooden surface.

Another idea which I've done before, is if the scuffs have indented the wood, find some crayons in colors which match your floor, melt them onto the spot using a candle. The wax will level itself, if it doesn't you can level it once it cools slightly.

April 27, 2011 Flag

Can someone tell me how to remove scuff marks from my wood floor that was installed in 2010. I'm not talking about "black" scuff marks, just scuffs that show on the floor.

I clean it regularly w/Pledge wood floor cleaner I buy at Home Depot. It does a great job of cleaning and shining, but the scuffs remain. I suppose they come from tennis shoes, grandkids playing, etc. If the sun is shining, I want to keep the blinds closed, because they show up especially bad then. Please give me advice how to get rid of all the scuffs. It's driving me nuts! Thanks in advance.

By Kathleen from IN

Being in the cleaning business for 27 yrs., I have cleaned many hardwood floors. From what I have learned is to never use anything with a 'polish' (such as Pledge Hardwood Floor Cleaner), as this leaves a very thin coat of 'polish' on your wood floors. Chances are the scuff marks you refer to, is simply the thin layer of polish being 'scuffed' off. Only use a streak free/no residue cleaner, such as BONA (for hardwood floors that you can get almost anywhere), which cleans your floors instead of 'polishing' them. If you want a 'shinier' wood floor, then you will need to apply a coat of polyurethane. So many people make this mistake, so you are not alone. I hope this helps.

June 2, 2010 Flag

How do you take the scuff marks out of hardwood floors?

By Judy

Answers:

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

Mr Clean Magic Eraser (12/26/2009)

By veda815

December 25, 2009 Flag

How do you remove dark shoe scuff marks from wood doors?

Ashley from Twinsburg, OH

Answers:

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'm a realtor and use Magic Erasers for all kinds of touch-ups, scuff marks on floors, ink or crayon on walls, wood furniture, outdoor toys, even everyday cleaning. My little guy got a hold of a black sharpie and created a "mural" on my desk in my home office and viola, gone. There was no trace of it. It's worth a try. (01/03/2007)

By ceceh

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

Try using neutral shoe polish. This works on any number of marks on wood, tile, etc. I learned this in the Air Force. (01/04/2007)

By Robin

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

A friend of mine was observing a janitor in an airport who had attached a tennis ball to a broom or mop handle. He went from scuff mark to scuff mark "erasing" as he went throughout the lounge area. (01/04/2007)

By hsorbits

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

Do not use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on wood floors with a polyurethane finish. I just had my floor refinished and tried to erase a white mark with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It took the polyurethane off.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is wonderful for ink, crayons, markers, stains on everything else, but not finished floors. Do not use it on "poly" coated floors. (02/18/2008)

By jh

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

I make of paste of baking soda and water and rub it on. The scuff marks come right off. It's an eco-friendly solution, too. (03/13/2008)

By Leslie

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

Try using olive oil. (03/30/2008)

By Lily

black Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

I didn't have a tennis ball so I just used my daughter's pink eraser. It worked. Seemed to be more effective if I wiped the wood floor spot (bamboo) with a damp sponge first, then the eraser. I vacuumed up the eraser shavings and the floor looks great. Thanks for the advice on the tennis ball, it led me to eraser. (04/04/2008)

By Jill

Scuff Marks on Wood Floors

We had black scuff marks on our hardwood floors, probably from sliding furniture. They were very difficult to remove. I tried many suggestions from this website: Simple Green, an eraser, the light scotch pad on a sponge, saddle soap, clear shoe polish, Tibet Almond Stick, baking soda, and baking soda with vinegar.

The baking soda with vinegar worked, but with a lot of elbow grease, scrubbing with a sponge. The thing that worked best for me was a product called "Furniture White Ring Remover" made be Jasco. I bought it at Lowe's. This is a cloth that is treated with some kind of oil. It removed the black scuff marks with some rubbing. By the way, it also removed the white ring marks on our dining room table that we originally purchased it for. (06/04/2009)

By D-Angelo

January 3, 2007 Flag

Can anyone give me some tips on how to remove black skid marks from wood floors? Also how to cover scratches?

Jenny from Milwaukee, WI

Answers:

Black Marks on a Hardwood Floor

Try cutting a slit in a tennis ball and attaching it to a broom or mop handle then rub it back and forth like an eraser until the mark is gone. (10/07/2006)

By hsorbits

May 8, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
beautiful wood floors
Removing Scuff Marks from Hardwood Floors
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJune 2, 2010
White Walls
Removing Scuff Marks on Walls
terra cotta tile floor
Removing Scuff Marks from Waxed Tile Floors
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
Scuffed Leather Shoes
Removing Scuff Mark on Leather Shoes
🎄