Top Loading Washer Reviews

Anyone buy a washing machine recently that they'd like to recommend that is not a front loader?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

I just bought the Cabrio washer and dryer by Whirlpool. It is a top loader and is the most fantastic machine in the world. Since getting this machine I am the luckiest girl in the world. It's HUGE (more than king sized comforter size), SMART AS HECK, and energy efficient. Yes, it does use more water than a front loader, but not by much. It gets my clothes super clean. There is an option for a clear top but I didn't get that. I don't have the time to sit and stare at my clothes being washed and dried. The price is similar to front loaders but worth all the money.

I have bought a Fisher & Peykal. They are wonderful.

Oooh! I'll have to check them out.

Based on internet research and www.epinion.com, am figuring I have approx. 6 months left on my washer before the repair becomes too expensive (like the transmission).

Turns out my washer (Maytag MAV 5000AWW) received good ratings for the first 2 years, and then that model gets poor reviews. All in all, it's an intermittent problem, so there's no use in replacing the item right this minute. The models I have seen in the store are too new to get ratings, so I'll be better off waiting 'til someone vents on the opinion internet site.

--------------

From which store did you purchase the washer? Was it the only store in town or did you comparison shop?

my hubby is a repairman and he likes only GE

good luck,Dar

I bought my Fisher and Paykel at Lowe's. My son works there as an appliance specialist and this is the one that he suggested. When you get done washing your clothes, they are almost dry because they spin so fast. It only takes a little while for them to dry in the dryer. I love my washer.

We too have a Fisher & Peykul. I love it. We've had it for about 3-4 years and though it sounds like a jet taking off, it's not loud it just doesn't sound like any washer you've ever heard, we love love love it. We were told it would, should last for a long time. Our last washer only lasted about 5 years before shooting craps. So far this one has been great.

TC in MO

I have a Kenmore from Sears and at that time Whirlpool made them. I worked in a group home and did lots of laundry and we had GE I also had one of them for years. That is the 2 I would look into again when time comes I need one. I do not know right now who is making Kenmore ones.

Just bought a new washer and dryer after spending a month talking to appliance people. Apparently, Whirlpool has bought out and now makes both Kitchen Aid and Maytag, and puts the Kenmore name on their appliances too. If you choose to buy one of theirs, Kitchen Aid is the top of their line.

I ended up buying a Fisher-Paykal. It is a european company that now has two US factories, and plans to infiltrate our market. They are supposed to be the most energy efficient on the market and have the longest warranty (2 years). Their machines are very basic and easy to repair. The company has a 24 hour a day hotline to talk you through any problem and ship parts directly to you if repairs are needed. The machines are easy to fix yourself if repairs are needed. Like any brand, they have different styles with differing price ranges. Look around, because they refuse to sell all styles to any one company, like Lowe's. Their top loading washer is supposed to be more energy efficient then front loaders. In dryers, they have top loading and front loading styles.

In March, I bought a GE with a stainless steel tub. Also bought the 5 year warranty at Home Depot. The GE is quiet, cleans well, has a setting for my most delicate items, wrings towels etc. almost dry but leaves my permanent press wrinkle-free. I replaced a 25 yr. old Sears made by Whirlpool but they aren't made to hold up that long any more. My repairman said no Whirlpool, Amana, Kitchenaid or Maytag, unless I want to fund his next vacation.

I looked at the Fisher & Peytal but was told by several owners that since it wrings the clothes so well, permanent press will need to be ironed. I don't iron so no thanks. It is supposed to be a great machine except for that but I also didn't want to spend the extra money. It was considerably more expensive.

I looked at Fisher & Paykel today. Does everyone have the one with no middle agitator-type thing or do some of you have one with that? It's the cheaper model.

I bought a fisher/paykel washer in August 2001.I have had 3 repairs on it. It just died on me a week ago,so March 2009 would make it 8 years old.

I thought the extended warranty we had would cover repairs,but it only covers transmission(not even on this machine. Repair man said I would need a new board(($200-300) among other parts.

Since I never really liked the way it cleaned we will just get a new washer.The heavy mode tore up our cloths,but I never felt the normal wash got them clean enough. I did like the spin cycle.It got the water out good.

Maybe the newer ones are made better.

I had a Maytag that lasted for 28 years and all we replaced was a belt. However, they have been taken over by Whirlpool & so I would say no to Maytag now. My daughter bought a Whirlpool and it worked without any malfunctions but it did tear up a lot of her clothes. She ended up selling it & bought a Bosch. Perhaps you could go on Epinions to see what people have said about Fisher Paykel. Good luck:)

New Washer and Dryer
Washer and Dryer Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and HomeMay 29, 2007
Top Loading Washer
Top Loading Washer Not Draining
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Dyeing Clothing in a Front Loading Washer
Couple shopping for a front loading clothes washer in a department store.
Front Loading Washer Reviews
🎄