Magnesium Capsules for Constipation

A friend was telling me she'd went to see her doctor about constipation. He told her to go buy her some magnesium capsules, to start out taking 1 per day for the first 3-4 days. Then increase her dosage to 2 capsules every other day. This will take care of her problem and it did.

She said to do this instead of spending money on high priced fiber cereals, fiber drink mixes or having to taste/drink chalky liquid magnesium laxative over the counter medications. One to two magnesium capsules with some juice or water and it's over with, no yucky aftertaste. She said her bottle of magnesium capsules were cheaper than most of the products I mentioned earlier, and this bottle of pills will last her a long time.

By Terri H. from NV

I doubt magnesium capsules had anything to do with relieving constipation. Magnesium aids in the absorption of calcium and formation of bones and teeth. Also for maintaining a healthy heart and blood pressure. Citrucel and Metamucil are available in powder or capsules for constipation with or without flavors. Not expensive and last a long time.

?? I think the best thing is to make sure you get your roughage - fruits and vegetables. But then, I LIKE prunes!

Actually, mag. does work that way. Calcium tends to be constipating. The two need to be in balance, not only for proper regularity, but also for the heart and blood pressure.

The problem with mag. is that it can be tough on the bowels, giving one IBS-like symptoms. It's not pleasant. If one's problem is a lack of fiber, then increasing fiber uptake & decreasing white flour & junk foods is probably the healthier thing to do (& less jarring on the intestines). When the body isn't working right, try to look a the big picture to see what changes need to be made.

It's been proven that most adults don't get enough magnesium in their diets, and while taking supplements might help relieve constipation, the body still needs an adequate supply of fiber to run efficiently. Neglecting one because you're doing the other is simplistic and may cause harm in the long run.

You need magnesium along with calcium so the calcium is absorbed properly. Magnesium does help to loosen you and if you take too much then you'll end up with the opposite problem. It is also calming so I give some to my son who is hyperactive. I know I need to cut back if I see he's getting loose stools.

Magnesium definitely is one of the most important things for the body. I'm sure you can find out more about it online. I take some every day....in the form of a calcium, magnesium and zinc tablet.

By the way, I know the benefits of fiber and I take a fiber caplet twice daily in addition to high fiber foods I eat. You should also make sure to get adequate fluid intake when you increase your fiber.

One of the best ways I've found to relieve constipation or to stay "regular" is to take a teaspoon or tablespoon, depending on which you buy, of Metamusil three times a day. Place the teaspoon of Metamusil in 4 ounces of water and stir and drink. It is like drinking orange juice. When I had IBS that was what the doctor recommended. The label will state that you should drink it with one glass of water - but that creates a mildly-flavored water which I think is pretty yucky, plus the drink tends to thicken before the whole glass is consumed.

constipated woman
Remedies for Constipation
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 1, 2007
A woman holding pills in one hand and a glass of water in the other.
Tips for Swallowing Pills
Dog With Constipation
Remedies for a Dog With Constipation
Shiney faucets and clean tub.
Cleaning Lime Stains from a Bathtub
🎉
🎄