Stained Glass Window Film

How might I cover some clear glass in the doors of a hutch that I use for storage in my bedroom? I would like to find some con-tac-like see-through material that I can adhere to the backside, so it looks like stained or etched glass. I don't want to have to remove the glass to apply it.

By Carolyn

There's a window film in a stain glass pattern you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's made for blocking out harmful rays that cause early fading of carpets and furnishings. Also it is used to block out heat in the summer and cold in the winter. It costs about $30.00 for a roll and it's not contact paper. You wet the glass with dish soap and apply the film. It's removable and won't harm the glass. Do a google search for window film and you'll see some of the patterns you can get.

I don't know where you get it, probably at a craft store, but there is see through plastic that just sticks to the glass, and can be peeled off. No adhesive involved.

Thanks. This info is just what I needed. Checked out a couple of websites - the patterns are just bee-yoo-ti-ful.

I have a china closet in my spare bedroom where I store towels, bath mats, shower curtains etc. I tacked a piece of heavy lace to the back of the glass. It looks gorgeous! The hutch is an antique style.

Try this for a different look. Use small or large bubble wrap that is using for packing. Cut it to fit the inside glass and spray a bit of water on the glass, wipe any of the wood for overspray.

It isn't permanent and can be removed easily. I have used this on my front door and back door windows for privacy. It allows light in but provides privacy. I have had it on my windows for well over a year and it still is sticking. You could also thumb tack it in on the corners if need be.

Maybe this article will help you learn how to do it^.

Consumer Advice Product FinderOctober 21, 2009
Faux stained glass window.
Faux Stained Glass Windows
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Cleaning Windows
Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes