Browsing: Cleaning Candle Wax from Candle Sticks

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Candle Wax from Candle Sticks

Candles tend to drip and run down candle sticks as they burn. Removing this wax build up will keep your candle sticks looking nice. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from candle sticks.

Candlesticks with melting candles on them.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 4, 2013 Flag

White acrylic candlesticks.I have acrylic candlesticks that have a thin layer of wax leftover from attempts to clean them in hot water. This process left a thin coating of wax. How can I get it off?

By Pat B

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Candle wax is much easier to remove when it is cold and brittle. Place the candle holder in the freezer for approximately 1/2 an hour and the wax should remove very easily. It will probably pop out if you tap the candle holder. If not, a knife should pop it right out.

Try heating it with a blow dryer and then wiping with a dry rag.

May 14, 2015 Flag

To remove wax from a metal or glass candlestick my way:

• Turn oven to 170 degrees C (about 325 degrees F)

• Place item on tray lined with baking paper.

• Leave for 5 minutes or until it looks like wax has melted.

• Remove HOT item with a cloth. Be careful not to burn yourself!

• Rub down with dry rag or paper towel and let cool.

This is much less messy than the hot water method and quicker.

April 9, 2012 Flag

How can I get candle wax off of a metal menorah?

By Shirley

Put it in the freezer for several hours and then you will be able to pop the wax off.

Depending on the metal, you could also dip it in boiling water to heat-melt the wax.

Cleaning an heirloom one, though, presents a different situation altogether. Have you asked around after Temple, or at one of the ladies group get together?

Put the Menorah and/or Shabat Candelabras in a plastic bag, and then in the freezer, for one hour and then quickly tap the objects in the bag with a wooden spoon or stick. The stubborn bits can be scraped off with the pointed ends of your wooden implement.

While the are cold wipe them down with a warm wet cloth!

November 17, 2011 Flag

How do I remove a lot of wax from a leaded crystal candle holder? The holder is about ten inches high, about 7 inches across, and it is filled with wax (about 3 inches deep). Lesson learned, don't allow others to "please light the candles". Please help!

By Tahloolabelle

Fill your sink with warm water. Insert the candle sticks for a short while. A lot of the wax will fall away. Keep doing this until most of the wax is gone. Re warm the water as it cools.

Eventually (not more than half an hour) put the candles sticks into hot water, use a soft cloth to wipe them.

Finally wipe with vinegar or white spirit. Rinse with cold water to bring back sparkle.

This method works on all candle sticks, and then if you have wax on furniture or fabric, use a warm iron over a piece of paper towel, or brown paper, until the wax is absorbed into the paper.

I have had success removing candle wax by placing the container in the freezer. After the container gets really cold, you can scrape the wax off easily.

December 24, 2009 Flag

How do I remove old candle wax from a plate and candle sticks?

By Sheila from MI

I soak my items in cold water as long as the water doesn't damage the item. It works for me.

I soak in super hot water, then rub the wax off while still warmed with a terry cloth rag and then wash with soap and water.

Put the items in the freezer for at least an hour or more. When you remove them. The wax will just pop off. Very easy & non messy.

February 20, 2005 Flag

Try spritzing the inside of your candle holders/votive cups, etc. with a little non-stick spray before you put in a new candle and light it. The clean up from the wax is a snap!

By Robin

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 26, 2012 Flag

The easiest way to avoid a problem with cleaning any of your candlesticks or candle holders of any type is simply spray a small bit of "Pam" onto the bottom of your candle holders whether they are sticks or votive holders, tea lights, etc.

When time to clean, use a butter knife and run it around the edge of the wax and it will all just pop out!

By Joyce from Gulfport, FL

September 15, 2011 Flag

Put the candle sticks in hot water. When wax softens, peel it off. Do this again if the melting is not complete. Have an old cloth ready to rub the stick while it is still a bit warm. This will take off the final residue.

Do not use paper towels. That is a wasted use of a scarce natural resource. Save the planet.

By Joan from France

March 9, 2010 Flag

The best way to remove hard wax from candlesticks or any leftover wax is to place the dish or candlestick in the freezer overnight. Take it out the next day and the wax will just come off by rubbing or pop out of the dish. Easy cleaning!

By morbetomommy from Topeka, KS

December 22, 2005 Flag

When washing dishes with Dawn, I put the washables with wax on them in the dish water. Voila! The wax just slid off. I tried placing a warm sponge with the dish water on the wax on the counter top and again, the wax just slid off. So I tried it with a washable tea towel. It worked again.

December 24, 2009 Flag

How do you remove wax from candle stick holders?

Janine from SA

Answers:

Removing Wax From Candle Stick Holders

The hot water trick worked great, I did not have a lot of wax, just stubborn about coming off. So I put it in the sink under running hot water and within less than a minute had a sparkling clean holder.
    It had some irregular shapes so the freezer did not work as well.
    Thanks for the help. (12/10/2007)

By Bob C

Removing Wax From Candle Stick Holders

I like the suggestion of the freezer. I have poured hot water over glass jars to get candle wax out and it leaves a smear of candle wax that is nearly impossible to get completely clear. I will try the freezer, thank you. (11/26/2008)

By Catherine

November 20, 2006 Flag

I need advice about removing candle wax from metal candle holders.

Helen from Ortonville, MI

Answers:

Removing Candle Wax From Metal Candle Holders

Put the holders in your freezer for about an hour, it should be easy to get the wax off. (11/08/2006)

By gardencraft

Put the candle holders in the sink w/ hot water. In about a minute, all of the wax will either fall or pop off, or be able to be wiped right off. That also works if you have a candle that has melted into a container, but the wick is gone and you need to get the wax out. (11/08/2006)

By CarlaJS

I'd dip the candleholder into a clean empty large coffee canful of HOT water and leave it for about 30 min. removing the candle wax when warm and soft with a paper towel and ice cream stick or plastic disposable knife, if I had one of them. This is standard proceedure for candle wax. Using the can prevents having to clean wax residue out of any other container. Toss the can afterwards. Good luck
    and God bless you.(11/09/2006)

By Lynda

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 14, 2011
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    candle
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
    Using Leftover Candle Wax, Melted Candles
    Using Leftover Candle Wax
    Two Lit Candles in the Dark
    Cleaning Candle Wax from a Tablecloth
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:05:56 AM on 10.0.2.223 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.