Can I Soak an Embroidered Pillow Case in White Vinegar?

I am embroidering a pillow case for my friend Nancy, that has cancer. She can't tolerate fabric softener. I can't either with allergies. Anyway, can I soak the pillow case in white vinegar with the embroidery thread done? I don't want to hurt the work I have done.

Sandy from Arbutus

I wouldn't chance it. Try soaking it in a solution of salt and cold water. This will not only set the dye in the embroidery thread, but salt is a natural softener. Rinse with cold water after.

YES. Vinegar also helps set the dye. I learned this from a home ec sewing teacher. Before we did our sewing project, she had us wash our fabric in COLD water and put vinegar in the COLD rinse water. I've also used it to wash new bright colored clothes in to help set the dye.

I agree that vinegar will be safe for your needlework. Just make sure it's white vinegar and not apple cider vinegar or some other colored would probably stain it.

Renee in TN

Sorry, I can't help with the vinegar issue, but may God bless you for your nice gesture for your sick friend.

By all means you can soak it with "white vinegar". It will make it soft and will not harm the material. Good luck, and praying for your friend! Best wishes!

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 15, 2008
Stamps and Colored Ink
Cleaning Foam Stamps
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
A stack of soft fluffy down pillows.
Cleaning A Down Pillow
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet