Liquid Fabric Softener vs. Dryer Sheets

By Nephilim 1

Is there a difference between a Liquid Fabric Softener and those Dryer Sheets? Can I use one only and still get best results?

Nephilim from Toronto, ON

Showing: Answers Sort

By Betty 104 753 Flag

Nephilim I don't buy a lot of fabric softners. I put vinegar in the rinse water and while it helps clean the washer of built up soap scumb it also softners the clothers and prevents static electricity. Whenever I do use one of the fabric sheets I either use it twice or I cut one in half. I have also heard but not tried yet that you can roll a piece of foil into a ball; put it in the dryer and it will also prevent static electricity.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use the liquid softener. Occasionally the sheets. One for the 1st load. One for the 2nd load. Then the one from the 1st load + the one from the 2nd load. This is economic. But, if you are using the sheets all the time be sure to clean the lint trap. Wash it. The dryer sheets put a film on the mesh & become a fire hazard.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Was just watching Bonnie Hunt show, she said use tennis balls in place of softener. I am going to try it and begin using vinegar too. I know vinegar has a lot of great uses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim 1 15 Flag

I personally only use vinegar in my rinse cycle when doing a wash. Sometimes I will use a 1/2 dryer sheet {low scent} when doing towels but it really isn't necessary.

These work great for people who cannot handle strong fragrances, detergents.

Best of Luck

Kim

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I did not notice a difference when I used it, but now I use the liquid softener. I just take a old piece of cloth put some of the liquid softener on it and throw the cloth in the dryer. It works good for me and is allot cheaper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sheila Hribar 8 Flag

We had 3 different dryer repair people recommend NOT using the dryer sheets. Over time, there is a build up on the drum where the clothes are and it can cause issues with the dryer, as well as marks on light clothes. We have not had any issues since we switched to liquid softener, so there must be some truth to it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I make my own dryer sheets and save loads of money. I use any liquid softener sprayed on a cloth and thrown into the dryer with the clothes.

Mix 1 capful of liquid softener in a 32oz spray bottler. Fill the bottle with water. Then spray an old washcloth, an old sock or some other piece of cloth and throw it into the dryer with your clothes.

I don't have a softener dispenser in my washing machine. so this works as well or better than buying the dryer sheets.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

On t.v I watched as 3 moms made their own fabric softener in a gallon they mixed baking soda with vinegar and each time you want to use it just shake it and pour some in your washing machine. I tried it and love it. Hope you like it also.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Since dryer sheets are so cheap, just toss one or two

in the rinse cycle and see how that works?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I cut ALL softener sheets in half, using only one half a sheet per load softens everything & I learned this tip from these folks! This works with large loads too not just small loads!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Karen Elg 1 1 Flag

Just use plain vinegar - Another poster said to add baking soda - I have never added anything to the vinegar and it works great - not only are all your clothes soft but it does not break down the fabric and with towels it deodorizes them - plus in my area one gallon of vinegar is 1.89 much less than I used to pay for liquid softner or dryer sheets

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 22, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Downy Fabric Softener Ball
Uses For Downy Fabric Softener Balls
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:51:48 AM on 10.0.0.50 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings