Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Liquid Fabric Softener vs. Dryer Sheets

Is there a difference between a Liquid Fabric Softener and those Dryer Sheets? Can I use one only and still get best results?

Nephilim from Toronto, ON

By

By Rose King (Guest Post)02/06/2009

Was just watching Bonnie Hunt show, she said use tennis balls in place of softener. I am going to try it and begin using vinegar too. I know vinegar has a lot of great uses.

By Karen Elg [1]02/07/2008

Just use plain vinegar - Another poster said to add baking soda - I have never added anything to the vinegar and it works great - not only are all your clothes soft but it does not break down the fabric and with towels it deodorizes them - plus in my area one gallon of vinegar is 1.89 much less than I used to pay for liquid softner or dryer sheets

By Irene (Guest Post)01/26/2008

I use the liquid softener. Occasionally the sheets. One for the 1st load. One for the 2nd load. Then the one from the 1st load + the one from the 2nd load. This is economic. But, if you are using the sheets all the time be sure to clean the lint trap. Wash it. The dryer sheets put a film on the mesh & become a fire hazard.

By Paula Jo Carr Mebane, NC (Guest Post)01/23/2008

I cut ALL softener sheets in half, using only one half a sheet per load softens everything & I learned this tip from these folks! This works with large loads too not just small loads!

By Patti (Guest Post)01/23/2008

Since dryer sheets are so cheap, just toss one or two
in the rinse cycle and see how that works?

By kinga (Guest Post)01/23/2008

On t.v I watched as 3 moms made their own fabric softener in a gallon they mixed baking soda with vinegar and each time you want to use it just shake it and pour some in your washing machine. I tried it and love it. Hope you like it also.

By Betty [104]01/23/2008

Nephilim I don't buy a lot of fabric softners. I put vinegar in the rinse water and while it helps clean the washer of built up soap scumb it also softners the clothers and prevents static electricity. Whenever I do use one of the fabric sheets I either use it twice or I cut one in half. I have also heard but not tried yet that you can roll a piece of foil into a ball; put it in the dryer and it will also prevent static electricity.

By Sherry (Guest Post)01/23/2008

I make my own dryer sheets and save loads of money. I use any liquid softener sprayed on a cloth and thrown into the dryer with the clothes.

Mix 1 capful of liquid softener in a 32oz spray bottler. Fill the bottle with water. Then spray an old washcloth, an old sock or some other piece of cloth and throw it into the dryer with your clothes.

I don't have a softener dispenser in my washing machine. so this works as well or better than buying the dryer sheets.

By Sheila Hribar01/23/2008

We had 3 different dryer repair people recommend NOT using the dryer sheets. Overtime, there is a build up on the drum where the clothers are and it can cause issues with the dryer, as well as marks on light clothes. We have not had any issues since we switched to liquid softner, so there must be some truth to it.

By suzin (Guest Post)01/23/2008

I did not notice a difference when I used it, but now I use the liquid softener. I just take a old piece of cloth put some of the liquid softener on it and throw the cloth in the dryer. It works good for me and is allot cheaper.

By Kim [1]01/22/2008

I personally only use vinegar in my rinse cycle when doing a wash. Sometimes I will use a 1/2 dryer sheet {low scent} when doing towels but it really isn't necessary.

These work great for people who cannot handle strong fragrances, detergents.

Best of Luck
Kim