Apartment Building With Shared Laundry

I live in an apartment building with shared washers and dryers. One thing I have noticed since moving here is that my whites are turning yellow when I wash them. I've tried bleach and Borax to no avail. A friend said he had that problem in college and his mother told him to use less detergent. I tried that and that didn't work either.

As far as I know there are no issues with the water (it's city water) and I believe the pipes are sound (not rusty). I was looking here for suggestions on getting our whites back to being white and once we do, how do we keep them that way?

Lisa from Concord, NH

Try OxyClean or an off-brand like that. Or, a bit of white vinegar and baking soda in the wash helps me get whites white again.

If you are not already, make sure to separate your clothing before putting it in the wash - it really does matter to keep darks, lights, whites, jeans, and rags separate!!

Try washing in cold water with a liquid detergent. Tide or Cheer works best for me, esp. with hard water.

Here's the recipe I use to keep my restaurant towels sparkling white: Use HOT water, 1 cup dishwasher detergent, the powdered kind, 1 cup laundry detergent, the 5 gallon pail from SAMS Club works best and is cheapest, and 1 cup bleach. I wouldn't use this on delicate items, but I use it on towels, underwear, etc. I usually run it thru an extra rinse with a bit of vinegar in it. It's worked for me for many years.

I use Downy Whitener (in the rinse cycle)..

It is wonderful. You may have to make sure your loads aren't too big, and the rinse is in after the water is filled to top. : )

I wash all my clothes in cold water using Tide liquid and Purex bleach powder. I also rinse my clothes an extra time. Whites are white and coloreds are colored.

im gonna go with the dish washing detergent and the cheap laundry detergent from sams which i use also. and i use to use dish washing detergent in with babies diapers to get yellow stains out and it worked well. better than bleach and another thing i noticed is if i use bleach everytime i wash it makes my whites yellow i was told i use too much bleach and it breaks down the fabric and it has held true so go figure

I know you've gotten all sorts of advice already,but I was wondering how hot your dryer gets. I can remember when I used the Laundromat I had a problem because the dryer was much too hot! Back then you couldn't adjust the temp. I don't know about today's dryers. Judy from Alabama

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 28, 2007
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Painted Screen Partition
Partitioning a Bedroom in an Apartment