Mildew Stains in the Shower

How do you get rid of mold and mildew stains in the shower?

Becca from Edmond, OK

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I love Tilex Mold and Mildew remover

Clorox Cleanup is great. Or try a bleach solution.

Try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, they are great on the shower.

I have read that bleach is not an effective mildew/mold killer, because it doesn't kill the spores - it just bleaches them. Vinegar on the other hand, is a mildew/mold killer. Spray straight vinegar in the shower each day and it will keep mold away. Hey....that rhymes!!

Actually bleach does kill the spores, it's one of the few disinfectants that does so. I might try the peroxide myself, now that I learned it works for this. Bleach works well but it's not really conducive to spritzing the walls right before I get out of the shower (while I still remember to do it) and it won't bleach my whole bathroom when I'm cleaning with it. I cut and paste a list below from www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/disinfectant.htm. It's long (sorry) but pretty handy-dandy.

*******

Here's my Q to you guys, Could the recurring black mold in my shower be causing this weird bout of adult on-set allergies I've been experiencing over the last 6-8 months? (I'm 31 and never had allergies before) It never occurred to me until yesterday.

********

Here's the list:

1. Alcohols (ethanol, isopropanol):

Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal. Use a diluted concentration of 60 to 90%.

Advantages - nonstaining and nonirritating

Disadvantages - inactivated by organic matter, highly flammable

2. Quarternary Ammonium Compounds:

Bactericidal and Virucidal with limited effectiveness, Fungicidal. Use a diluted concentration of 0.4 to 1.6%.

Advantages - inexpensive

Disadvantages - inactivated by organic matter, limited efficacy

3. Phenolics:

Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal. Use a diluted concentration of 0.4 to 0.5%.

Advantages - inexpensive, residual

Disadvantages - toxic, irritating, and corrosive

4. Iodophors:

Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal, Sporicidal and Tuberculocidal if contact time is for a prolonged period of time. Use a concentration of 75 ppm.

Advantages - stable, residual action

Disadvantages - inactivated by organic matter, expensive

5. Glutaraldehydes:

Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal, Sporicidal (prolonged contact time required), and Tuberculocidal. Use a diluted concentration of 2%.

Advantages - unaffected by organics, noncorrosive

Disadvantages - irritating/damaging vapors, highly toxic, expensive

6. Hypochlorites (Chlorox Bleach):

Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal, Sporicidal (prolonged contact time required), and Tuberculocidal. Use a diluted concentartion of 1:10 .

Advantages - inexpensive

Disadvantages - bleaching agent, toxic, corrosive, inactivated by organic matter; removes color from many interior fabrics; dissolves protein fibers (i.e. wool, silk); has not shown to be effective against stachybotrys spores.

7. Hydrogen Peroxide:

Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal, Sporicidal (prolonged contact time required), and Tuberculocidal. Use a diluted concentration of 3% or greater.

Advantages - Relatively stable

Disadvantages - corrosive, expensive, degrades in heat or UV light

Answer

I'd love to know how you can rid a bathroom shower once and for all of mildew problems. After its gone I'd like to know what to put on the shower wall that will prevent its coming back. SURELY there's a product for this.

MamawKC

Rainx

I would suggest Rainx, of course After the walls are completely clean! It;s made for cars, but we cleaning ladies use it in the showers, also! Lasts for months! Don't put it on the floor, you might slip and fall.(04/17/2005)

By Rene'

Squeegee

You can't completely prevent mildew but you can greatly reduce it by using a squeegee after every shower! We have been doing this for about a year now and I am thrilled with how this easy, non toxic method keeps our shower looking great. Of course we have to clean it regularly, but it's been much easier. (04/18/2005)

By Mary

The Works

Use the product "The Works" to remove the mildew. If it's not available in your area try a spray bottle with 1/2 bleach and 1/2 hot water. Make sure the window is open and you leave the room for fresh air. After it's clean use Turtle wax on the walls. The best defense is to clean the walls weekly so the mildew doesn't come back. It's a pain but well worth it. (04/18/2005)

By klr2080

Bleach and Water

You could also try a bleach/water mix in an old spray bottle. For tough mildew, I would recommend letting it sit for a minute or two, or maybe even a stronger concentration of bleach. Just make sure the area is properly ventilated. (04/19/2005)

By Sarah

Vinegar

Just mist the shower walls w/ white vinegar after each shower, this non-toxic method will help w/ mildew control, once the initial problem has been taken care of. To rid the mildew: Spray strong bleach & water solution on the shower walls, let sit for at least 5 min., light scrub, then rinse --will get rid of the problem. (might not have to scrub, but do rinse as bleach should not remain on surfaces). (04/21/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol

I use 3/4 parts white vinegar and 1/4 part rubbing alcohol. Spray on and let sit, then scrub of wipe off. For daily cleaning to prevent mildew from forming, mix 1/4 of this mixture with 3/4 water in spray bottle. (08/06/2006)

By Vivi Shaffer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 28, 2007
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 10:34:29 PM on 10.0.1.9 in 530 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.