Removing a Cooking Oil Stain On Carpet

My husband prepared to drink his morning health drink of Odwalla Superfood fruit juice with about 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Well, he spilled it on our carpet. I used our Bissell steam cleaning machine with Bissell deep cleaning liquid on it, the juices came out but I can still see the oil stain. Is there anything else that I can use to remove the olive oil stain from my carpet?

Janice from Selah, WA

Best Answer

Hi Janice! The first thing I'll say is that I have NOT tried this BUT I know what I would try. I don't know how large your oil stains are but I would try a THIN coat of Dawn dish washing liquid and, depending on your carpet pile, rub it in either with a tooth brush or fingers (rubber gloves?). I'd let it sit for a few minutes then I'd start to rinse it out with clean water until the area doesn't suds any more.

I have never had Dawn fail on getting oil stains out of laundry; fresh and old dried on stains. I hope this helps. I'm sure there will be a lot of other great ideas from the wonderful members of this site.

Best Answer

Try using Dylon Stain Devil no 2, I think, or else put some blotting paper over the stain and iron it.

Best Answer

Saturating the stain with cornstarch would be cheaper than the baby powder, but that's the first thing I would try. Really grind it into the stain, let it set for a day or two, and then vacuum it up. May take a couple of tries.

Susan in Omaha

I once had my brand new carpet covered with fresh tar from the street. I used baby powder to get it all out - every spot of it was gone when I finished but it took a while. I imagine this would work on most any oil based stain. I rubbed the powder in and let it sit a bit then vac out. Repeat until gone.

Try soaking the spot (spots) with hydrogen peroxide. It works on anything organic. Soak the spots,let soak until the foaming stops or about 15 minutes. Repeat if needed until spot is gone.