Reupholstering a Recliner

Sometimes it is less costly to reupholster a comfortable chair, rather than buy a new one. This is a guide about reupholstering a recliner.

Leather Recliner
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have 2 recliner chairs with high backs and a front kick-out leg-raise section. I'd like to revamp the color. Has anyone had experience with a quick and cheap dress-up? There are slip-covers available but it's like getting blood from a stone when I send emails requesting sizes of the covers.

Please don't suggest getting it done professionally. The call out fee would be worth more than the 2 chairs put together. Is there someone who has had experience with recovering? Please help.

By Rebecca

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rebecca, I've been looking into the same thing for my recliner. If you go to Surefit.com, they are well-known for furniture covers and I'm pretty sure you will see the sizes. Or if they show a picture of a recliner that is similar to yours you'll be able to see whether it will fit or not. I also found their customer service to be fairly friendly and I believe they have an 800 number. Hope this helps. Kathy

I have a high-back recliner with the leg rest that extends outwards. It is a clean-side model (not Batwings). I'd love to update it with a cheap home-made covering. Has anyone used sheets to cover the arms, back, seat, and leg rest? I have a staple gun. Any inspiration would be appreciated. Thank you.

By Good Neighbour

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think I would use something with more heft than a sheet. Why not try using a canvas drop cloth? You can buy them for 10 to 20 dollars. The main thing to watch for with them is that sometimes they have a seam running up the center of them. I found that out when I made drapes. You also have to buy enough at one time to do your project as dye lots may differ.

Read More Answers...

How do I reupholster a Lazy Boy recliner and how much fabric do I need?

By Daphne from Cleveland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The general rule of thumb used to be seven yards for a chair and fifteen for a couch. That was taking into consideration that upolstry fabric is wider than normal. That might give you an idea to go by.

I just bought a used recliner. it looks like a mid century modern, it has a label that says it is "Design Environment" N.C. The chair is great except that the straps under the seat cushion have all just fallen apart.

I need to replace these straps which look like a thick ace bandage and have metal clips that simply slide into a groove on the frames bottom.

Any ideas where I can find these kind of straps or what I could substitute?

Thanks,
Rick

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you searched the internet for the manufacturer? or online upholstery shops? or searched for Design Environment?

Have you gone to one who sells recliners and asked questions--- manufacturer, replacement parts, etc.?

Have you visited or called upholstery shops? You can take a scrap with you for matching fabrics or getting replacement ideas.

My local store phoned a manufacturer for me and got answers to my questions.

Read More Answers...

How much fabric do I need to reupholster a Lazyboy recliner?

Jess from Crossville, TN

Answers:

Reupholstering a Lazy Boy Chair

The Lazyboy chairs that were made around 68-75 had superior (heavier duty) mechanical parts. (The new mechanisms look, feel, and sound cheap and seem like they would fail after five years of use.) The cost to reupholster may be about the same as buying a new chair, but if the chair is old and still in good mechanical shape, I think reupholstering is a better value (providing you can find someone at a reasonable price). Also, it is one less piece of landfill less damaging to the earth. (01/21/2008)

By TheReupholsteringGuy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have looking for information on how to reupholster a Lazy Boy chair?

Answers:

Reupholstering a Lazy Boy chair?

If you are not familiar with upholstering you can get books at the library to give you an idea of what is involved. Any piece of furniture will do if you can't find a recliner.

This takes a lot of patience and determination and feeling secure in doing the job. What is the worst thing that can happen? You have to throw it out, but you have learned something or have someone else do it!

I can visualize the pieces of a chair and determine how they are put together.

On my chair I removed the bottom dust cover and the back cover on the chair exposing the inside of the back portion.

I removed (unscrewed) the back portion and was able to work on this separate and them install later after working on other parts of the chair.

Two years ago I did a Lazy Boy, the biggest part is removing the all the staples holding the material in place ...use the material for a pattern. I worked on a section at a time. Just take your time.

I started many years back; your skills improve over time; a learning experience.
(03/12/2003)

By sydfred

Reupholstering a Lazy Boy chair?

I just started to work on my Lazy-Boy this week. A friend came over twice and we pulled staples out while the kids played. Now, I am to a part where my husband will have to help because I can't get to the last of the fabric staples without taking the "works" of the chair insides out. We have jumped several hurdles, and it has been very interesting to see all the padding layers, etc. Found a quarter, several pennies and an ink pen. We wonder if we will actually be able to put all the new foam and fabric back on, at this point. But surely it will be cheaper to pay someone to do that part if the old stuff is off. I found fabric at an outlet for about $25 for 6 yards, so I am not worried about ruining it. Also. we decided to take photos along the way, to help us remember how it was all sewn together. And we put all the screws and small hardware in little baggies. (07/01/2004)

By spinsterdutton

Reupholstering a Lazy Boy chair?

Taking the seat off proved easy for my husband to do. The seat back is designed to be unfastened, lifted up and off, allowing you to work in sections. My project is simply to recover the seat, no the whole chair, and my problem is getting matching material. Stapled underneath onto the frame there is a swatch of the fabric and a paper with numbers. The chair is over 25 years old, so the fabric may be too old to still be available. I have been referred to Calico Corners for something compatible and am moving forward with that. Does anyone know how to find "old/vintage" fabric such as I need from another source? (01/31/2006)

By ProfessorBus

Reupholstering a Lazy Boy chair?

Frankly, reupholstering an old, old chair is not worth the time and especially not the price. You can get a brand new chair for less than the cost of upholstering the old one. And unless you are really good at it, I wouldn't advise a do-it-yourself approach. (06/03/2006)

By pooka111

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsApril 22, 2014
Couple Shopping for Quality Recliner
Finding a Quality Recliner
Reupholstered Couch
Reupholstering a Couch
Repairing a Recliner
Repairing a Recliner
Dining Chairs
Reupholstering Dining Chairs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 12:04:14 AM on 10.0.2.124 in 864 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.