Reupholstering a Recliner

Sometimes it is less costly to reupholster a comfortable chair, rather than buy a new one. This is a guide about reupholstering a recliner.

Leather Recliner
Filter Sort

Question: Inexpensively Recovering a Recliner

By Rebecca 13 13

I have a high-back recliner with the leg rest that extends outwards. It is a clean-side model (not Batwings). I'd love to update it with a cheap home-made covering. Has anyone used sheets to cover the arms, back, seat, and leg rest? I have a staple gun. Any inspiration would be appreciated. Thank you.

By Good Neighbour

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine 173 890 Flag

I think I would use something with more heft than a sheet. Why not try using a canvas drop cloth? You can buy them for 10 to 20 dollars. The main thing to watch for with them is that sometimes they have a seam running up the center of them. I found that out when I made drapes. You also have to buy enough at one time to do your project as dye lots may differ.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Recovering a Recliner Chair to Match New Decor

By Rebecca 13 13

I have 2 recliner chairs with high backs and a front kick-out leg-raise section. I'd like to revamp the color. Has anyone had experience with a quick and cheap dress-up? There are slip-covers available but it's like getting blood from a stone when I send emails requesting sizes of the covers.

Please don't suggest getting it done professionally. The call out fee would be worth more than the 2 chairs put together. Is there someone who has had experience with recovering? Please help.

By Rebecca

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kathy 64 333 Flag

Rebecca, I've been looking into the same thing for my recliner. If you go to Surefit.com, they are well-known for furniture covers and I'm pretty sure you will see the sizes. Or if they show a picture of a recliner that is similar to yours you'll be able to see whether it will fit or not. I also found their customer service to be fairly friendly and I believe they have an 800 number. Hope this helps. Kathy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Reupholster a Recliner

I just bought a used recliner. it looks like a mid century modern, it has a label that says it is "Design Environment" N.C. The chair is great except that the straps under the seat cushion have all just fallen apart.

I need to replace these straps which look like a thick ace bandage and have metal clips that simply slide into a groove on the frames bottom.

Any ideas where I can find these kind of straps or what I could substitute?

Thanks,
Rick

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Have you searched the internet for the manufacturer? or online upholstery shops? or searched for Design Environment?

Have you gone to one who sells recliners and asked questions--- manufacturer, replacement parts, etc.?

Have you visited or called upholstery shops? You can take a scrap with you for matching fabrics or getting replacement ideas.

My local store phoned a manufacturer for me and got answers to my questions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Reupholstering a Lazy Boy Chair

By DAPHNE MICHELLE ROBINSON 1

How do I reupholster a Lazy Boy recliner and how much fabric do I need?

By Daphne from Cleveland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

The general rule of thumb used to be seven yards for a chair and fifteen for a couch. That was taking into consideration that upolstry fabric is wider than normal. That might give you an idea to go by.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsApril 22, 2014
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Couple Shopping for Quality Recliner
Finding a Quality Recliner
Reupholstered Couch
Reupholstering a Couch
Dining Chairs
Reupholstering Dining Chairs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:33:34 AM on 10.0.2.231 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings