Keep Wet Towel in Refrigerator to Cool Off

I keep a sopping-wet micro fiber towel in a sealed Ziploc baggie in my refrigerator. I use the towel to wet myself down when heat gets to be too much. I then rinse the towel, wet it again to level of "soppiness", and cool in the refrigerator. During really hot days I'm the cleanest dude in the country. Before I retired from construction work, I kept cool by wetting my hair and beard with hose water during hot summer days. It worked for me.

By tomatohanger from Canton, OH

In Japan we wear a wet towel or handkerchief around the neck. Not sopping but wet enough to be cool. Ladies can fold a handkerchief like a triangle, roll it up longways, and tie with the thick part at the nape of the neck and the knot in front. It looks fine and the breeze will help it stay cool for a while. Wet it again when it gets too dry. Men use a long thin white towel like a muffler but wet. Often men working outside also wear a wet white towel over their head with a bandana knot in back.

I've wet down my personal hand towel and used it as Cantate described, but hadn't thought to separate a towel specifically for the purpose. You would probably want to keep two, or maybe three, towels like this, space permitting. That way, you'll always have a cold, wet towel available. And of course, wash them regularly.

Woman Cooling Off in Front of Fan
Keeping Cool in Hot Weather
Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingJuly 23, 2010
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Towel Holder
Making a Kitchen Towel Holder
Barbecue grill with a variety of meats, shish kabobs, corn and veggies with a family in the background
Keep Cool By Cooking Outside