Freezing Overripe Bananas

If you are not ready to use them now, you can freeze overripe bananas for use later in baking. This is a guide about freezing overripe bananas.

February 23, 2011 Flag

Do you sometime buy too many bananas? When the outside peel turns dark, don't throw them away. Take off the peel, put in zip lock bags, and freeze until you get ready to bake something. Use them in banana bread or any kind of baking that calls for mashed bananas. I bake with all my left over bananas. This was taught to me by my mother.

By Queen BEE from TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good saving tip for bananas.

June 28, 2007 Flag

What a treat! I found very ripe bananas for $1/5 pounds. Very few were soft, so I took a chance. I also bought some chocolate shell, because I remember frozen chocolate covered bananas from my days of working at Knott's Berry Farm. I peeled as many bananas as my large round plastic food container would hold, breaking each one in half. They got sprinkled with lemon juice to retain their color. Then they went into the freezer, carefully covered. The next day I poured chocolate shell over them, and it set up immediately. But there wasn't enough chocolate to cover them all, so I got on the net and found a recipe that is way cheaper than the $2.59 teeny weeny bottle.

You melt 3 tablespoons of butter and 2/3 cup of chocolate chips over low heat together. That's it. Pour it over ice cream of frozen bananas. That made enough to finish the batch. We have enjoyed frozen bananas since then, and there are enough for about 25 servings. That left a bunch of the ripest bananas. I mashed them up and made the equivalent of four loaves of banana bread. We had company for dinner on Sunday and ate some. I sent a loaf home with one of our guests. And the other half of the batch will be served tonight at our grandson's going-away bash. Since I had almost everything on hand, I spent only $1.10 for bananas and $2.59 for chocolate shell.

You don't have to use regular milk chocolate chips for the shell. Mine were the kind that are filled with peanut butter. I'll bet bittersweet would be really good. And it probably came out to a total of 65 servings of dessert. YUM! Now I'm watching for a sale on chocolate chips!

Coreenhart from Rupert, ID

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

HI, I make frozen bananas too and buy my chocolate chips at a store called Mannies. It is a dented can store. I buy them sometimes 50 cents a bag. The last time I was there I bought about 10 bags and put them in my freezer. pab

March 11, 2011 Flag

I use to throw over ripe bananas in the freezer to be used in the future for baking. Now I put the peeled bananas in a covered baking dish and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes in the microwave. The pulp will separate from the water. Transfer the banana pulp and liquid to a sauce pan and slowly cook on low heat, careful to not burn. The liquid will turn into a thick sweet liquid. Cool the bananas mixture and measure out into one cup measurements and freeze for later use.

Note: 1 cup cooked bananas equal 2 uncooked bananas.

The results will be a more flavorful banana recipe.

By Elaine from Monmouth Junction, NJ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
overripe bananas
Using Overripe Bananas
Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesApril 30, 2013
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dates
Banana Date Bar Recipes
Banana Cookie
Banana Cookie Recipes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 5:34:43 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.