I read where someone was spraying alcohol to get rid of bed mites? Do they spray the bed? floor? I change and wash all bedding (sheets and pillow cases) once a week, and never heard of the alcohol treatment. Please advise.
By Jeanne from Warner Robins, GA
Do you mean bed bugs or dust mites? If you mean dust mites, you have to vac. often but you can never get rid of them, it's not possible. Bed bugs is a whole different ball of wax!
If you mean dust mites, they thrive because of the combination of the skin we naturally shed and moisture. They are not harmful unless you happen to be allergic to them. One thing that is really helpful is to 'not' make your bed immediately upon getting up and let the moisture dissipate for a few minutes first. Shake the top sheet slightly and then wipe the bottom sheet with your hands like you're doing a quick dusting before making the bed is helpful too. I honestly don't know about using isoproyl alcohol because have never heard of using it but if using for bed mites just use it on the bed but let it dry thoroughly before placing the sheets, etc back over it.
If you're talking about bed bugs that definitely is another story. And you definitely would know if they are bed bugs because they bite, bite, bite! Those critters get absolutely everywhere and are so difficult to get rid of that even some professional exterminators won't take on the job because they can't guarantee they can get rid of them. There is a worldwide epidemic with those bugs right now and even in places you wouldn't expect them like libraries. If they are bed bugs call oodles of exterminators for ideas of what to do and lots of research via Google searches.
I sprayed my mattress and bed base etc a light coating of bleach and left it to dry, result was no more dust mites, no more sneezing no more streaming nose and eyes.
It was truly like a miracle and oh oh such a relief.
More than likely spraying the bed directly, alcohol seems to be in favor due to it's quick evaporation, but care should be used since the vapor is heavier than air and is extremely flammable and would be toxic to small pets hanging around the bedside.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!