Getting Rid of Mites on Pets and Owner

I went to the vet and had the cats' skin scraped and the diagnosis is Sarcoptic mites. I adopted a little dog about a month ago and it seems her former owners had a bout of mange and she was not treated, so not knowing it she must be the culprit who brought them in.

I had no idea she was infested she had no hair loss but sleeps with the cats and they look awful. Anyway, she and several of my cats sleep on the bed and pillows and with me at night at various times. I was at the vet on Thursday and dosed everyone with Revolution. Then I went to the pharmacy and got over the counter sulfur creme and perythrin shampoo for lice. I could not go to the doctor, as I have no health insurance. I have started itching and see tiny red dots on my skin so obviously I have also gotten the "bugs".

Several posts I have read have said that you cannot get mange from your animals, but my vet says different and apparently he is right. I also read that the mites on the dogs and cats will not survive very long on humans, but it is now the second day and I am seeing more bites, like a rash and they itch like hell. I have washed all the toys, clothes, bed linens, pet beds, etc. with borax and sprayed bug spray on everything. Tonight I will try the borax in the bed.

My dogs are still scratching. I must have had them for at least a month and thought it was fleas until I treated everyone for fleas and they were still scratching and losing their hair and I couldn't find a flea anywhere. I also read that Nature's Miracle was a remedy and bought a gallon of it, even sprayed it on myself. My question is: How long are these critters going to remain on me and how do I get them off of me?

I also have a baby granddaughter that I don't dare touch or hold until this is cleared up. Can my daughter or the baby get the mites if they are just near me or do they have to come into contact with my skin? Help.

By Cindi from South FL

Best Answer

You poor thing. I feel very bad for you. Mites hate eucalyptus. It would be great if you could purchase some eucalyptus essential oil at a health food or vitamin store that sells essential oils. And purchase some jojoba or almond or olive oil to go with it.

For yourself, in one ounce of olive oil (or the jojoba/almond oil) place 1 tsp. of eucalyptus essential oil.
Rub this on the itchy affected skin. Add a lot of eucalyptus essential oil drops to a bunch of baking soda. Use this for sprinkling on carpet and furniture and let it sit for 10-30 minutes and vacuum. Add eucalyptus essential oil drops to the laundry wash and rinse cycles when you do the wash.

Add eucalyptus essential oil drops to cotton ball and place throughout your home (out of pets reach). Add eucalyptus essential oil drops to your light bulbs when you turn on the lights. Add eucalyptus essential oil drops to your pets collars. Boil some water on the stove with eucalyptus essential oil drops added.

Brewers Yeast Flakes for your pets. Any pests don't like brewers yeast flakes. Add 1 tsp. to your pets food daily until the mites are cleared up. I truly hope this helps.

OMG Dear Carly... you have just save me and my rescue pets, thank you for your short list. from Central America - Panama... have a great weekend!!!

Yes they are very contagious. It will itch really badly for a couple of weeks. I would go to the doctor and ask for the treatment for scabies which will work for this...I would not suffer for the two or so weeks until the things die off.

Here is a site I found: https://petsbestrx.com

Hope this information is helpful. I would not hold a baby either until the mites are dead. I would get the scabies ointment from the doctor, although this site sells ointment too, I would go to the doctor and tell him you have scabies and need the ointment.

Good Luck! Robyn

Call your county health department and see if they can help you since you don't have insurance. Or is there a teaching clinic or low-cost clinic that could provide the medicine?

Anonymous

essential oils excellent remedy! However, toxic to cats! It's ok to use near dogs though.