Mom's Scalloped Potatoes

contest winner icon
This is a very easy dish to prepare. You can even peel and slice the potatoes the night or morning before you intend to make the casserole, then set them in water enough to cover them to prevent darkening. Then when you start to put it all together, it only takes a few minutes. It is delicious and nutritious, and your choice of cheese can make it your very own recipe.

• 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped small
  • 2 cups (8 oz. pkg.) shredded cheddar cheese* see note
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 3/4 tsp. celery seeds (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 3-4 cups milk

Directions:

Layer half the potatoes in a buttered 3 quart casserole dish. Layer half the onions over potatoes and sprinkle with half the cheese. Dot with half the butter. Sprinkle with half the salt, pepper, and celery seeds (if using them).

Combine the flour and milk, making a thin slurry and mix well. Pour half the milk mixture over vegetable mixture. Repeat starting with potatoes again and ending with the milk mixture.

Cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until potatoes are very tender. Remove foil for the final 30 minutes of baking to brown top.

Julie's Note (written in 1975): Serves 8 unless you've invited Uncle Albert. Better make 2 entire casseroles if he's coming.

Note: The original recipe called for mild cheddar cheese, but we all liked my father's "rat" cheese (extra-sharp cheddar), so that's what my mother used). My own husband and children also like the extra-sharp cheddar cheese so that's what I use too. You can use mild, medium, or just sharp if you don't like the extra sharp cheese and your middle name isn't "Rat". My Mother said "Rat" was my Father's middle name, because he loved cheese so well.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: Approximately 1 Hour
Cooking Time: 60-90 Minutes

Source: This was my Mother's recipe and was often made at lunch time, which was our family's dinner time when I was a child. Leftovers were eaten at supper or our evening meal.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Oh my! This brings back memories. My dad called it "rat" cheese, too! He called it that because that was the cheese he used in the "rat" traps!

I like the extra sharp cheese and can't wait to try this recipe. Since I bought my convection toaster oven I don't mind making oven recipes in the hot summer months. Thanks for sharing.

Yum! I might use the "rat" cheese too, I'm probably half mouse. I love cheese, lol!

Thanks for sharing another of my favorite comfort foods. I also love the addition of"rat"cheese! : )

Sounds yummy. love the reference to "rat cheese". I grew up with that. Mom would let it sit out awhile till it got little beads of "sweat?" On it. Yum, never knew it was cheddar, still look for it in small town butcher shops, gonna try your recipe Thanks

Julia, you've done it again. Every time you post one of your old family recipes, you make me break my diet. LOL That's OK, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for sharing. Thumbs Up!

MisMachado

This is one of those dishes that we call pure comfort food, and that "rat" cheese is the best part of everything. My husband loves scalloped potatoes, meatloaf and steamed broccoli. This is very much like the scalloped potatoes that I grew up with. Just a few changes like the addition of celery seeds. I can't wait to try this.

Thank you for sharing it.

Suziq9

I know these better as au gratin potatoes. Yummy!

http://www.best-potato-recipes.com/potatoes-au-gratin-recipe.html

Food and Recipes Recipes PotatoesJuly 7, 2011
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Scalloped Corn
Scalloped Corn Recipes
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
Scalloped potatoes in an old blue enamel bowl, on rustic white table.
Scalloped Potatoes Recipes
🎄