Foxgloves Coming Up from Seeds

I had Foxglove blooming for the first time last year. They dropped seed and all kinds of new plants came up in the fall but then were frozen off. Does this mean that I will not have any come up from seed this spring? I know they are normally a biennial but want to know if the plants will come up.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Elaine from Iowa

Hopefully it'll mean those plants will bloom for you this summer. Let me know. I'm curious too. I know hollihocks are like that too. One yr. they grow, then the next yr. they bloom. Maybe we could exchange seeds if you get a lot this yr. I love the Foxgloves but the roots rot for me and they don't come back.

Yes, biennial means that they will grow the first year and the plant will return and bloom the second, then die after it scatters the seeds. There are always exceptions to the rule, but this is what happens in most biennials. As sewing granny stated, hollyhocks perform the same way.

I know that they are a biennial. I don't think I made the question clear; I want to know, since they dropped seed and came up in the fall, will they not come up in the spring?