Keeping an Opossum Out of My Yard

Even though we live inside the city in a fully inhabited neighborhood, we seem to have an opossum (and I'm told possibly babies, too) roaming at night. I have not only seen evidence of it (you know what I mean), but I have seen it on the neighbor's porch. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Dennis in Texas

By DennisAndEstelle

It may have its nest in your neighbors yard, i.e., under the porch, or under or behind a shed, or under bushes. Also, they are attracted to foodstuffs just like raccoons, so make sure you and your neighbors are not leaving garbage bags or cans open, no dogfood out on porches and things like that. They won't attack you unless you corner them. They prefer to be left alone.

You can be grateful because they eat snails. They might be pesty in that they will eat pet food left outside and garbage. Please do not hurt them. They mean you no harm.

I leave food scraps out for them myself, and try to catch a glimpse of them feeding. They are harmless to pets and people as well. They don't even carry rabies the way foxes do. I love nature.

Go to Acadamy and buy a big animal trap & set it up in a likely spot where they can get to & put a small amount of cat in a small can of cat food, place it inside of the trap on the far side of the spring door where it enters, set the trap before going to bed & maybe the next morning you will have one caught.

Getting Rid of Opossums
Getting Rid of Opossums
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeMay 24, 2011
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Opossum on Fence
Opossum Information and Photos
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎉
🎄