Getting Rid of Opossums

Opossums are quite adaptable and can thrive near people, munching on vegetable garden produce and nesting under houses and sheds. This is a guide about getting rid of opossums.

I tried to catch this guy 3 nights in a row with no success. So last night I put a trail of bread OUTSIDE the cage and then a trail of bread going INSIDE the cage. Well, just like Hansel and Gretel, he followed the bread crumbs all the way into the cage far enough to trip the door closed. This morning, I took him over to the woods about 3 miles away from my house and let him go. I hope he doesn't find his way back any time soon. Here is a photo of him and I don't think he looks very happy, do you?

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

After being woken up at 2:00 am the morning before, I was quoted $389 for removal from a wildlife specialist to trap the things. I did an internet search and found this tip.

I placed ammonia soaked rags in bowls at the entries of crawl space vents in the wall where the opossum was entering the space yesterday afternoon. At 7:44 am this morning, I was woken by a muffled moving sound under my bedroom floor. I got up and went to the family room and spied mother opossum pulling the last of her 10 babies out of the hole in the wall of my home. Babies safely on her back, she lumbered to the backyard fence and disappeared into my neighbors' yard. I promptly blocked all of the holes with aluminum vents with screens, attaching them to wall with Liquid Nails.

Total cost to me? $21.00 for ammonia, painters rags, 6 aluminum vents covers and a tube of Liquid Nails. It will be nice to know no more critters of any sort will get under my house again. Peaceful sleep at night? Priceless.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_12128742_driving-possum-out-crawlspace.html

How can I get rid of the huge mom possum that lives in my pine tree? It killed 2 of my cats. It's as big as a dog! I had 3 outdoor cats when I bought my townhome. It's in a historical area and I am next to a field, that's lovely. The neighbors and I took the stray cats under our wing; they were good mousers and mole killers. I give them food, shelter, shots, etc. But this spring one cried every night to come in.

I never saw it so scared. Soon I found out why. I saw what I thought was an average possum and I thought ran it off. Wrong. The last two cats were maimed so badly (leg and tails) literally chewed off. I later saw the monster mama. I have 1 cat left. I can't bring him inside. I have a cat that has never lived outside, etc. How do I get rid of all opossums without running off the kitty?

By Molley H.

Answers

I have the same problem but has not killed any of my cats that I have in a 20 by 10 kennel outside. I did see one in their kennel not long ago but it was not a large one. My cats out in the kennel are 14 plus and too old to kill like they did years ago when babies would get in there. I pray someone can give us an anwser.

We have opossums in our roof, and we don't know how to get rid of them. Can you please advise, because we can't sleep at night?

Wala S.

Answers

I live in Houston and while I've never had 'possum problems i am reminded of the time that the golf course behind our condo had to call Texas Wildlife Commission to come get the 8 foot gators out of the water hazards. Why don't you try them? They might even come and get them since 'possums are wild. BTW they didn't kill the gators, just carted them off someplace.

My parents had a raccoon infestation in their roof a few years ago. They tried everything, moth balls, live traps, legs trap, sitting outside with a gun even. There has always been a opossum problem with the cat food left outside for the various strays.

The only thing that worked, for either of them (even the giant bull mastiff left outside didn't scare them!) was a clock radio turn up all the way to a talk radio station, it has to be speech or obnoxious music, no classical or something easy to ignore. It was placed in the attic and left on all the time, it was a plug in type, not battery operated. When placed at the other end of the house from the bedroom you couldn't hear it until you go to the other end of the house. However it scared off the wild life, didn't hurt anyone, and the cats would put up with the sound.

So try putting some sort of radio with speakers near the problem area. They were able to remove the radio for a year before the raccoons decided to try again, but they live out in the country so the raccoons didn't have many options.

P.S. It's important to get them out of your roof as soon as possible. Once they find a good nest they'll continue to come back. They will also use your roof as a potty, and it soaks through drywall eventually, causing holes for them to look through into your house, very scary! Also, they mess up the insulation so you loose heat and spend just that much more money because of them.

By Winterbird (Guest Post)

Get a large live cage, place a peanut butter sandwich inside for they love peanut butter and wait. Soon you can deposit them free in a environment right for them.

When I worked for animal control, the head of it told me that possums do not get rabies, so it was safe to reach out and catch them. Possums are not stubborn or beligerent; they merely have horrible eye sight (rely on their sense of smell) and are very shy which is why they turn and try to hide in a corner. We caught one in our yard and put it in a cage to take out to the country and let go. While in the cage, I scratched behind its ear, and it snuggled up to the side of the cage and acted just like a cat, only more shy.

The hardest part of getting it out of the cage was that it was so scared that it wrapped its tail around one end of the cage and refused to let go. We put the end of the cage in water, and it swam out and ran to safety. Please don't be mean and beat them to death with a broom (I've seen many do this). Once you get them out of the attic, be sure to seal off all holes so they aren't able to find their way in again.

While riding my harley down a road I never had been on before I saw a possum that had been hit by a car. As I drove slowly by it because I cant stand to see any animal die or suffer I saw something about 2 1/2 - 3 inches on top of her. I turned my bike around and saw it was a baby trying to get to her mammas teat.

4 Babies that didn't survive laid next to her, so I dug in her pouch and found 5 more babies alive. I put them in my saddlebags and went straight home. Got on the computer and found out how to take care of them so I had 6 little mickey mouse looking babies for 3 1/2 weeks, hand fed, used a warm washcloth to rub their stomachs lightly, this helps digest their food and go poop, (a replacement for their moms licking them to get their stomachs active) then I gave 5 to a wild animals rescue and kept skeeter.

They say they live 2 years but she lived almost 3 1/2. They do not have or get rabies because their blood temperature is to low. Anyways I made her her baby habitat and a little Harley hammock and when she got big we took our big closet took off the doors, I painted a palm tree, we built levels and ramps up to her now adult hammock and she loved it. I could nibble on her ears, kiss her face, she loved me to rub her little feet which are like little human hands. My mom watched her on my weeks vacation and when i came home she grabbed me so tight and made little crying noises.

We would take her to mc donalds for her own hamburger and fries. She loved them. After 3 1/2 years she got cancer so bad I had to have her put to final sleep and that still tears me up to this day. She was my baby and I will always love her. I'm showing a picture now but be sure to check out the contest because I have entered her in that. Here she is, a fat sable teddy bear. Skeeter

I caught and released, about 3 miles from home, a possum. Can it find its way back here?

I had a flashlight on an opossum and it came to me. What do I do? I was outside with a flashlight and I saw what I thought was a big cat, but when I put the light on it, it started to come to me. When I ran to my door it was at the side of the house; it was a opossum and it looked at me.

By Dannilea S.

Is there a home remedy that doesn't cost a fortune to get rid of possums? I have a family of possums that have made a home under and in the walls of the house. Is there a easy way to run them off, a smell or a chemical they can't handle being around? That is really all I know to put down. Please and thank you.

By Terry

Answers

Moth balls scattered where they enter and leave may help. If they are under the house, throw the moth balls under the house in a circle around this area. It may take a few days, but this works on mice and skunks, too.

What can I spray on my passion fruit to get rid of possums?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By jim from Australia

Answers

Moth balls have worked well for me in getting rid of skunks & other unwanted animals; I bet they'd work for possums, too. (And they're cheap!) Sprinkle a few on the ground around the plants; replace them after rain or really heavy dew.

It would be unfair and cruel to take them into another area as they are extremely territorial. Any program I have seen where they rescue possums they always return them to the place they found them. As for deterring them from your fruit - I'm not sure how that would be achieved.

Well I do know now for a fact that possums do kill ducks. And I hate them. I will/am going to do whatever it takes to get rid of this possum under the house. Move, kill, or whatever.

For those who say cats and opossums don't bother any one or anything, they are wrong. Just saw a opossum kill my new baby kitty right in front of me. Couldn't get to it fast enough. My heart hurts and opossums suck.

Even though we live inside the city in a fully inhabited neighborhood, we seem to have an opossum (and I'm told possibly babies, too) roaming at night. I have not only seen evidence of it (you know what I mean), but I have seen it on the neighbor's porch. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Dennis in Texas

By DennisAndEstelle

Answers

It may have its nest in your neighbors yard, i.e., under the porch, or under or behind a shed, or under bushes. Also, they are attracted to foodstuffs just like raccoons, so make sure you and your neighbors are not leaving garbage bags or cans open, no dogfood out on porches and things like that. They won't attack you unless you corner them. They prefer to be left alone.

You can be grateful because they eat snails. They might be pesty in that they will eat pet food left outside and garbage. Please do not hurt them. They mean you no harm.

I leave food scraps out for them myself, and try to catch a glimpse of them feeding. They are harmless to pets and people as well. They don't even carry rabies the way foxes do. I love nature.

My neighbor has an opossum in her house under her garden tub. We have set live traps with no luck. Is there any other way to run it off?

By new prospect tenn from New Prospect, Tn

Answers

A live trap is your best bet. Try different bait. My dad just caught a two possum over the past month living under our house with a head of lettuce that was going bad. Remember, a opposum is a scavenger and will eat whatever attracts it's nose.

I had one that kept making my dogs bark at night. No one believed that I had one in the yard so one mornign I saw it on my fench and I went and got my camera and started taking pictures of it with the flash on. It has not come back yet and this was last year.

I have heard chewing on my a/c vents under my mobile home late at night. Could the animal be an opossum? I've seen one on my front porch (not afraid of automatic light on porch) and in the tree over my house.

By Lyn

I have been raising feral kittens and now they are big cats. In my yard, I noticed one night an opossum and then two opossums. I am very scared now to go out in my yard. I am afraid they will attack me. My question is, how are the cats, there are 4, and the two opossums able to get along? Why aren't the cats claiming their territory? How do I get rid of the opossums.

By SR

I just read that putting mothballs in the garden, inside of a plastic jug with holes in the bottom to keep them dry, will help keep cats out of the garden. So I wonder if that would help with the opossums that get in my yard and eat the cat's food. I have a fence around the yard and wondered about putting the mothballs along the fence. But I don't want to reject my cat.

By pm813@hotmail.com

I have an aggressive possum in my yard that wants to hurt my Pomeranian. At night it screams at me or the dog. It's huge. I only have a small courtyard, so it's quite a problem as it's bigger than the dog. Any Suggestions?

By Pauleen

Answers

You should call animal control for your town or county right away. It may be sick and could give rabies to your dog or you. They will probably set a humane trap for it overnight so they can examine it for illness.

How do I get rid of possums in our vents without harming the animals or the home?

By Jamie from GA

Answers

You need to find out where they are entering and exiting your house. Then get a Live Catch Trap and bait it with lettuce or cabbage. Ask around and you may find someone with a trap they can loan you or you can check with your humane society (SPCA) and they might be able to help. Oposum eat just about anything so lettuce or cabbage could be replaced with something else. We had some under the house and put out a trap with a piece of chicken and caught one. We also caught a stray cat and a bunny (with a carrot). But we got 1 adult and 2 baby Opossum as well.

I think I have possums in my attic. They are also in my walls. These things are scary because they fight all the time. The other night I was in my kitchen and they were fighting so loudly (hissing and growling) that I thought they would come through the walls! I actually thought they were in my kitchen and coming after me!

I have also found "droppings" in my living room that I was blaming on my daughter's little dog, and food being chewed on by what I thought were mice or rats in my pantry. Now I don't know.

I got a cat a few months ago to get rid of the rodents, but I know something else like possums or raccoons are in the walls and attic, and may be roaming around my house at night. How do I get rid of them cheaply and effectively? Please help!

By Lisa Thibodeaux from Lafayette, La.

Answers:

Possums In My House

If you can find where they are getting into your house, pour some hot pepper sauce on it. We had squirrels in our attic. They were climbing the wires to the H/A system to the attic. We've done the above, and also put it all around the house. They don't like it. We don't have any more problems. Reapply after it rains. I would do this for anything in the attic. Good luck. (05/11/2009)

By kathleen williams

Possums In My House

Get a Havahart trap and put fruit in it and then release them far away from your home. They are nocturnal so do this at night in your living room. They are territorial so I'm surprised you have that many. Of course they could be mating. One advantage of having possums around the outside of the house is they kill rats and mice. (05/11/2009)

By Babette

Possums In My House

You may want to research to see if they pose a hazard by chewing electrical wiring. I know rats and mice do. (05/11/2009)

By Linda Brady

How do I get rid of possums in my yard?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By aadowning from Coral Springs

Answers:

Getting Rid of Possums

The only thing that has worked for us is to trap them, then take them someplace out in the country, where we release them, away from the homes of others. (01/18/2010)

By susan

Getting Rid of Possums

Hello! They do not harm anyone or the garden. Anyway, you can sprinkle red pepper flakes, as they do not like the spicy scent. You can go further by soaking the flakes in hot water, allow to steep, place in spray bottle to spray or sprinkle in the areas you desire. Good Luck! (01/18/2010)

By laurie

What are possums afraid of? And how do I get rid of them?

By Lee.

Answers:

Getting Rid of Possums

I had a possum problem where I used to live, and although I can't give you any good suggestions, I can tell you I found out many states have laws about what you can do. We wanted to live trap and relocate it and found our state (IN) only allows you to relocate one 50 feet, which was no help at all. I would check your local laws before acting. (11/08/2009)

By Bobbie Hudson-Penick

Does anyone have any ideas how we can keep possums from coming in our yard?

This is the second time in a 3 week period my little Jack Russell terrier woke us up in the middle of the night chasing a possum.

Load More