Relocating a Possum

I caught and released, about 3 miles from home, a possum. Can it find its way back here?

It can, but it's more likely it will find a place it likes better near where you released it.

I hope the possum was a male; if female, you may have taken her from her babies this time of year. If she had babies, they will not survive a day and night without their mom and milk. A possum can wander for miles, but if it finds a good hunting area, it will stay. The best place to release a possum, raccoon, mouse or rat, etc., is in a wooded and, hopefully, wild area with access to water and food.

It's not likely. I had a nest of eight (yes, eight) possums make their home under my house one year. I managed to trap them one by one in a homemade thingamabob I rigged up and released them all in the same spot a few miles away from our house.

(Most of them were about half grown, so I was pretty sure they were a family and I wanted them to be in the same geographical area.) Since it was wooded with a fresh water source nearby I was pretty sure they'd prefer that spot to ours, which was in the middle of a town of 15,000. None came back.

We have no possums up here in Canada, so I am interested to know if it comes back as well. Only time will tell, I guess! Although how will you tell if it is the same one, or another one that has moved in?

We have lots of possums here in Canada. Southern Ontario. I have relocated 9 this year with another about to go.

Just read the information on how to get rid of possums which I will try out this evening! Thanks so much for these helpful hints

I trapped one and took it 2 miles from home. pretty sure i just trapped him again the next day.