Cooking Chicken Legs on a Gas Grill

I make chicken drumsticks on the outdoor gas grill. First I boil it in water until its done, and then I spray the racks well on my outdoor gas grill with PAM and heat the grill. The problem I am having is, when I put the chicken on the grill and turn the drumsticks to brown the other side, the chicken sticks to the grill rack and I wind up losing lots of the pieces of the chicken because it sticks to the racks. How can I prevent this from happening? Thanks for any advice.

P.J. from Delaware

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

At your grocery store get PAM for the Grille!!! Before you start the grill, spray the racks, let sit 1-2 minutes then turn on the heat to medium. Neighbor has done this and works well for him. I use it on my George Foreman Grill and clean-up is fast and easy!

I've personally never tried this, but maybe make a "bowl" out of foil, and put them on foil. Or, I've seen on tv the shows put oil on the grill too, instead of a non-stick spray. I may have to try this! hehe

I would change what I am using to oil the grill. Pam doesn't work well with high heat. Also try brushing some oil directly on your chicken legs before placing them on grill.

Pam has a new high heat version out. I just saw it and bet it works. If not I'd ask for my money back.

Instead of spraying the grill, spray the chicken legs, all sides with Pam (or brush with oil as previously suggested). I spray both sides of frozen burgers with Pam before grilling.

Since I have been cooking on my charcoal cooker I have been using Olive oil on all my grilles and racks and nothing ever sticks to them. Makes clean up later alot easier too.

I cook the best tasting BBQ chicken legs in the world. I microwave them first then put them on the grill on super high, while constantly turning them and putting Uncle Yammy's BBQ on them. They come out awesomel. I don not know what everyone else is talking about. LOW temps and putting the BBQ on at the end. Mine come out perfect everytime.

Hey, maybe try using tin foil and Pam on that.

How long do you microwave the chicken prior to putting it on the grill?

I cook mine raw on the grill. After a nice marinade, I put them on a very hot grill to sear them, then I lower the flame and move them to the upper rack to finish as I baste with sauce. When the juice runs clear from the fattest portion, they're done.

If you have a BBQ with 2 or 3 individual burners you should cook legs, back, thighs, etc, this way.

Paint on your marinade, and a little olive oil. Turn on all of the burners to high and close the lid. Leave the lid closed for 5-10 minutes in order to preheat the BBQ. Turn down the knob of one of the burners to the lowest temperature position ( example : Left side burner down, while right side burner stays on high ) and then place your chicken pieces on the left side of the grill and cook each side for about 10 minutes. You can then raise the heat on the left side to medium and put your BBQ sauce on before flipping it for another 2 minutes on each side.

Tip 1 : Never apply BBQ sauce before, or at the start of grilling. Always apply towards the end of the grilling process or else the sauce will most definitely burn )

Tip 2 : Keep the lid closed to prevent the chicken from drying out on the inside.

Don't cook your meat twice.

When your meat of any kind sticks to the grill, that means it isn't done and not ready for turning, all chefs on Food Network says this. My husband has a Weber grilling book and it give not only recipes, but cooking and turning times as well. It has never failed him.

Answer

Use Pie Tins For Grilling
Barbecue and Grilling Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Recipes BBQ & GrillAugust 13, 2007
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Repairing a Gas Grill
Repairing a Gas Grill
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 6:36:22 AM on 10.0.0.41 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.