Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Yorkshire Terrier Peeing Inside House

My yorkshire terrier is almost 2 years old and he still goes to the bathroom in the house. He was doing really well with the pee pads when I moved to a new home where his smell was gone. That lasted for about two months so I decided to remove the pad and only use outside. He did just fine with that for a little over a month. I praised him and rewarded him with a cookie whenever he would go the bathroom outside.

Now he is slipping and going inside again. I kennel him when I'm not home and still praise him when he goes outside, which is very often (almost every 2 hours when Im home). It seems when he goes outside he doesnt even fully go. He will pee only a little bit, but on everything in sight. Any suggestions?

LGDRZAZGA from Buffalo, NY

Yorkies are adorable and stubborn little wee ones.

We have a male, Oso. He quit after the surgery

(fixing him). Oh he still runs outside to neighbors and hikes his tiny leg on the tree. He tries to be really good but he is a YORKIE, good thing we love

him so much.Sometimes if there is a row of trees

he tries to water each one it is so funny when he finally realizes no more pee is coming out.

Oh yeah during training he would go outside and pee BUT if he got distracted by any thing he would stop run inside and start to pee inside so I would scoop him up run him outside and into the grass so

he would pee and I would make a big deal out of the event. He loved and still does love to be told

'good boy' and baby talke while he pees or when he comes in. He is smart , so good luck.

i agree with the crate training. it worked really well with a rescue dog i got. i never had used paper training or wee wee pads with any of my puppies. i train them to go out right off the bat. they then know they can only potty outside. always take them out after play time, after they eat or wake up after a nap or first thing in the morning. yes, it is alot of work, but a good pay off in the end. pretty soon they should be coming to tell you when they have to go. good luck. my rescue dog came to me at age one, and learning what he needed to do. love and patience goes a long way.

Yorkies have a tough time tuning into where they can pee. I have two and it took me a very long time with my male and he is five and still pees on the couch legs or whereever he gets the urge. My female is only 1 1/2 years old and hikes her leg (thought that was strange) but pees and poops in the same places (one place in the downstairs bedroom..one place upstairs...)what I did was pick up the poop and say" Is this yours?" and stick it in front of her face and she will cower down and go hide.

They have little tiny bladders and have to be walked a lot! I have to take them outside and literally walk them until I see that they have peed and peed until there is nothing left to pee and then, take them inside. Even when it is cold or hot outside. My female looks like the dog in the picture and she gets leaves and twigs stuck in her furr and I don't like her to just run amock..I have to steer her away from everything that gets stuck in her furr.

Keep using those pads or use newspaper in the same spot where your dog goes and keep that area picked up, slowly moving it to the door.

They are just terrible about being trained. Most of it may be that we tend to spoil those cute little dogs and eventually let it go on too long. I did..thinking that it would eventually quit. But it hasn't.

can any one help me as i have a yorkshire terrier his age 9 years old.got as a rescue dog but his last owner just let him wee and poop in the house.

He has good days and bad days when we are out at work.

if he does pee he goes in the bathroom when we are out.

and he lets me know when i go to bed if he wants too go out.

can any one tell me what i can do too stop the weeing and pooping when we are out.

p.s he goes out before we go off to work.

many thanks

deon in England.

I have two Yorkies. A 6yr old spayed female and 9 mos old male.

I can't stand the thoughts of putting them in a crate. The female will pee on paper when it is down, or she will go outside. My male, though, is peeing on anything left sitting in the floor in the dining room.

Is he too old to be neutered for it to help stop the peeing, or marking his territory? Then, sometimes I think, what if I want to breed him - that is why I haven't had him neutered.

Our Yorkie is getting out of control. He has been trained on the pads since we got him in 2005. The last few weeks he has being peeing and pooping everywhere!! We have started a schedule of taking him outside but he has only gone once since doing this. Is there any product that can actually eliminate the smell all together. We have been using Simple Solutions and that doesn't work at all!! I am becoming very frustrated and I'm out of ideas.

September 27, 2006 Flag

I have 3 dogs Yorkshire Terrier, 2 males (3 and 6 years old) and 1 female (2 years old). The males pees all over the house, especially on the couch, and I don't know what to do.

Bia from CA

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

If your dogs aren't neutered, have them neutered.

Your male dogs are 'marking' their territory and are also urinating to dominate the couch, other furniture, your carpet, your lawn, etc. If you take them for walks on a leash, don't allow them to urinate anywhere other than your own back yard. Allowing a dog to 'mark' bushes and trees in the neighborhood tells the dog that he owns it. Dominant dogs are born dominant and they must not be allowed to behave this way because they will certainly attempt to dominate you and your family members. Just because a dog is small, it doesn't mean they can't be dominant.

I would first take them to the vet and make sure there are no medical causes for this and if they check out fine, there are other steps to take.

If you have to, restrict their water intake. Pick up the water bowls at a certain time in the evening and make sure they have gone potty plenty of times throughout the day and for the last time at night. You didn't say if your dogs sleep in a crate at night but this will help. Crate train them and this way, they have a safe, cozy little place to sleep and you can rest easy knowing they aren't soiling your house.

Another reason they are doing this is because they are showing the female dog that she isn't the pack leader. You are the pack leader and you must treat your dogs as if they were not housebroken. As soon as you see them about to lift their leg or sniff around for a place to pee, yell, "NO!" and immediately take them outside to finish. One of the problems though is, they have already soiled your house and the scent is everywhere. I suggest you buy a product at your local pet store that gets rid of this smell. A dog will usually go back time and time again to the same places where it urinated even though you may have cleaned the spots with a household cleaner.

Good luck. (08/11/2006)

By ldyharley

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

I had the very same problem with my son's 2 fox terrier male dogs who are living with me! They have absolutely ruined my new house marking their "territories" everywhere. We finally had them neutered this summer, and that problem is GONE! Now I am trying about every cleaning product available to get ruin of stains and odors! (08/12/2006)

By jayhawkfanatic

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Crate training would fix the problem, I think. Google "crate training" and you will get lots of helpful ideas. I have crate-trained 3 dogs and none peed in the house, that is, unless I didn't notice them standing at the back door -with their legs crossed ;-)

Good luck. Dogs are worth all the headaches! (08/15/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Crate training and neutering are the only answers I can give you. Neutering will take care of the need to mark and crate training will take care of the peeing all over.

When crate training it is important to stay consistent. The crate should be just big enough for the dog to lay down in and when standing turn around. If it is bigger the dog will not get the point as fast. You can also buy a bigger crate with a separator that will take the space down for now. Your dogs are older so they don't have to go right after they eat but it is a good time to start. When they have to go, take them to one spot in the yard. Give them a cue word, we use tee tee, this way they get the hint. Do not play with the dog at this time. When the dog does go, praise him/her. If the dog goes in the house, tell it no sternly and take it immediately outside to the spot. This only reinforces the spot they are allowed to go in.

When the dog is in the crate, allow it to go in there at least once. You will most likely have to bathe the dog afterwards as well as clean the crate but it gets the point across. The dog will not want to lay in its own mess and will not repeat it. Dogs naturally do not like filth in their home.They just don't automatically understand that your home is their home.

Once the dog stops making messes in their crate, then you can move on to the rest of the house. Repeat the process throughout the house.

Your best bet in cleaning is steam cleaning and citrus cleaners. Or what ever smell your dog dislikes the most. If you are consistent, you shouldn't have any issues at least until your dogs are old. I have trained at least thirty dogs this way. I have up to ten dogs in my house at one time and I have never had a problem with regression, even when we add a pup to the training camp. HTH (08/15/2006)

By lifewithmadman

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Best problem solver I have found is a wrap that goes around the male and Velcro closed at the top. Mine are neutered, but will still mark. And sure don't want them having to stay in a crate Some pet stores have them or can be ordered from Foster & Smith catalog. (09/07/2006)

By BillieK

Pets Dogs Dog BreedsSeptember 27, 2006
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos