Making Salt and Pepper Hair White

My hair is the salt and pepper, gray color. Is there a way to make it all white?

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

If you are looking for a cheap and easy way to make your hair that bright blonde or to bring out your once subtle natural highlights, "bleaching" your hair with Hydrogen Peroxide might be the best option for you!

Find a new spray bottle. You want to make sure the bottle is as clean as possible (a brand new bottle is the best!) because you don't know how the previous chemical's residue will react with the Hydrogen Peroxide, and this isn't chemistry class.

Hair ColorWant Colored Hair w/ Shiny Results? Try Ammonia-Free Natural Instincts!

www.Clairol.com/Shiny-Hair-Color

Fill the bottle with at least 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Spray the parts of your hair you want lighter. If you want all of your hair lighter, spray thoroughly.

If you are looking only to bring out your natural highlights, pour some of the Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton ball and rub the cotton ball in one direction on the pieces of your hair that you would like lighter.

Most people want to leave the Hydrogen Peroxide in their hair for about 60 minutes before rinsing, but depending on how dark your hair is, how light you want it, and how much irritation the chemical may cause, you will want to experiment and play around with it. When you are comfortable with the color, go rinse your hair with cool water.

The cool water will add shine and help strengthen your hair. Since the Peroxide isn't the healthiest thing in the world, you will probably want to add a deep conditioner to your hair. Be sure to massage your scalp as the chemical might have dried out or irritated it. Again, rinse with cool water.

Don't expect immediate results. Your hair will become much lighter if you repeat this process in smaller doses every day for a week than if you use a whole bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide on your hair one night.good luck.

You can make your hair white by dying it at your local hair salon.

If you mean white as in naturally having turned white type of white there is no way to do it. The difference between white or silver is genetically predisposed and there's also no way to hurry up the transition from salt and pepper to white or silver.

You could bleach it or color it blonde but do not attempt this on your own without professional advice first if you decide to do so! I was a hairstylist for over thirty years, as were also my parents, and I can't begin to tell you the horrors I've seen from people trying to attempt such a change on their own.

I would be happy to help you if you would like me to. Just contact me here via the contact button. I will gladly share my credentials and email address and then, if you send me a photo of yourself so I can see exactly what color and amount of salt and pepper, I can give you safe options.

The hydrogen peroxide technique works! I was born with very dark brown hair and when it started to gray I didn't like the salt and pepper look so I would use dark brown hair coloring which many times was too dark and made me look dead so I moved to Santa Monica and went totally blonde for about ten years (had it done at a salon for a high price). Recently I decided to try this technique with HP after finding out about it at BeyondJane.com. a full forum on this. Using a 6 percent developer recommended by Sally Beauty Supply and applying it two different times it has lightened the pepper in my salt and pepper hair (which is what I don't like) and brought out the salt which made my hair look naturally platinum blonde (just what I have always loved and wanted). My hair is as silky and healthy as ever so the HP did not harm it like salon lightening with ammonia does. I will keep doing this as my S & P roots come in. The people who warn against doing this are salon workers who don't want it known that this can be done without paying high prices for hair coloring while harming your self as well.

Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringFebruary 9, 2010
lucite salt and pepper grinders
Finding Lucite Salt/Pepper Grinders
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄