Replacing Canopy on a Lawn Swing

I have an old aluminum lawn swing which needed a new canopy. The cushions were easy to replace but I need a canopy. I went to a hardware store and bought a vinyl roll up shade (could be bamboo) and placed it over the top of the swing. I tied it down with plastic slip ties. It has lasted over three years now and is easy to keep clean.

By Mary C. from Newark, CA

Top Comment

Brilliant Mary C on the roll-up window shade to replace my patio swing canopy!!! $20 window shade (plastic) & zip ties done in less than an hour.

Unroll, remove strings and bottom plastic "bar." Place over canopy, roll back up to desired length (bottom of shade without the bar or keep on if you want a bit of privacy), zip tie to frame! For added support I cut the bottom plastic bar & zip tied to middle of canopy as mine didn't have one. Then Steve came up with using pieces of the bar to support the zip ties on the top of the canopy.

Best part, it will not blow away as the wind goes thru the shade.

Love this site. Can't wait to discover more thrifty ways!

That is ingenious! I trashed a similar swing because the top rotted and the cushions were destroyed by cats. I'll remember this tip if I ever buy another canopy swing. Thanks for sharing this with us and God bless you.

My only question is ... Where were you about 4 months ago?! :) I just had to giggle when I read this post as I'd asked for ideas for a solution to this very problem back in early June. I received many great responses but this one was different as well! Thanks so much for sharing your idea ... might try it next time instead!

~Leah

Amazing idea, you cannot guess how much I have wracked my brain for ideas, fabrics and so much more and up comes this genius person. May you have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. Miria

Awesome idea! I've been wondering what to do to replace the shade for our swing. This idea is perfect (and the roll up shade will even coordinate with the replacement cushions I bought - yay!)

Patio Swing
Replacing the Canopy on a Patio Swing
Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousOctober 10, 2008
Garden swing with canopy
Finding a Replacement Canopy for a Garden Treasures Swing
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Making a Rope Swing
Making a Rope Swing
Replacement Canopy for an Outdoor Swing
Making a Replacement Canopy for an Outdoor Swing
🎉
🎄