Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Natural Snake Repellents

Does anyone know of any natural snake repellents? Please suggest.

By Sill from Charlotte, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Vicki [21]03/08/2011

I was going to suggest sulfur, which is in the archives below. Read those posts. Also, cats and dogs keep them away to an extent.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Natural Snake Repellents

I have just about given up the love of gardening because of the abundance of snakes I come across. Any suggestions?

Kathy

RE: Natural Snake Repellents

Try sulfur they hate it. Just renew when it gets wet. Snake Proof from the store costs $20 for 1 lb. 5 lbs pure sulfur costs 2 dollars and is available at most farm outlets. (05/06/2007)

By bigdood

RE: Natural Snake Repellents

Our neighbor uses moth balls to repel snakes. I don't know if works on the snakes, but it sure does work on me. Yuck. (05/08/2007)

By stellajean66

RE: Natural Snake Repellents

I heard that lime works well, also. (05/08/2007)

By Elva

RE: Natural Snake Repellents

My heart goes out to you as I sure understand your plight. I've had snakes between my storm door and my mud room door for the past two years! They made a nest in the crack in the concrete between the foundation and the sidewalk and sunbathe on the concrete.

At first I bought expensive spray over the internet. But it was well worth the money as I learned something. The man who sold it told me snakes hate strong odors. (I think they "inhale" it through their skin.) The product I purchased smelled like the strong creams you put on sore muscles. It contained capsasin which I believe is a type of hot pepper. Last spring I put some Tiger Balm brand in that crack and haven't seen a snake there since that time. I truly believe anything that has a strong nasty smell would work. I particularly like the capsasin ointment because it renews its smell in the hot sun and you don't need to replace it when/if it rains.

I must tell you that I used to have lots of insects in my lawn. Then, voles came to eat the insects. Now I have snakes to eat the voles. Try to figure out if you have this type of food chain in your garden. Do you have any toads living in your mulch? If you eliminate the food supply, the snakes will go away. Best of luck! (05/09/2007)

By Carol in PA

RE: Natural Snake Repellents

My husband sprays ammonia with lemon dishwasher detergent (to help it stick) where ever I don't want snakes. It works. If it rains hard it will have to be done more often. If not maybe every 2-3 weeks. (05/12/2007)

By Marilyn

I HATE SNAKES

Milk in a coke can. Snakes get their head stuck in can. Milk attracts them in then get rid of snake. Done. (10/30/2007)

By Dan

Archive: Natural Snake Repellents

I am looking for ways to keep snakes away. I am scared to death of them.

By Donna from Lexington, SC

RE: Natural Snake Repellents

A snake would be scared of a fox. If you have a tractor supply, Rural King, or Big R type of store, they sell a bottle of fox urine. I know this sounds crazy, but it worked for us. We had a ground hog that actually busted the concrete floor in one of our outbuildings. The fox urine would be sold near the hunting supplies. It's a small glass bottle and only about $7.00. Of course it smells very bad. Take a handful of cotton balls and put the urine on them. Then put the cotton balls inside of a knee-hi panty hose and put this wherever you have seen the snake. Supposedly it makes them think a fox is around and they leave. Hope this helps. (06/29/2010)

By nightrain71