Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Canned Venison

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recipes to share that use canned venison. I have been canning it all weekend and would like some yummy recipes to use this winter.

Thanks,
Erica from West Virginia

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By donaspisak12/03/2013

I just canned 16 wide mouthed pints of chunks of fresh venison that was shot yesterday. I had my granddaughter paint the bottom and sides of the jars with olive oil which was in a quart jar filled with our own garlic. I filled each jar half way and salted with a tiny bit of sea salt and some dried onion flakes. Filled the jar the rest of the way up and a tiny bit of salt on top and boiled the jar lids, screwed the tops on and placed into my American Pressure Cooker. In 75 minutes I will have 16 pints of deer meat ready to use this winter. Hoping my hubby or someone gets another deer so we can grind up some ground meat too. Dad got the rest of the deer to make kielbasa.

By jennifer (Guest Post)12/29/2008

I just tried this one last night. I call them quesaDEERas! Take 2 tortilla shells, some canned deer meat, sauteed veggies and cheese and put between the shells like you are making a regular quesadilla. Heat in the oven (at 350 for 10-15 mins, until your cheese melts), serve with salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, anything! They are great!

By Chris in WI (Guest Post)12/17/2008

I canned a whole deer this year, except for tenderloin and backstraps. We mix onion, green pepper, garlic, and horseradish in the meat prior to canning and then use it in any receipie that calls for red meat. I love canning it because the canning process disloves a lot of the "silver-skin" that I would otherwise spend hours cutting out.

By Lisa in Wisconsin (Guest Post)10/15/2008

Here is a good one. Mix the canned venison with either sloppy joe sauce or bbq sauce and eat it on a bun. I also make lots of canned venison every year and am always looking for new recipes.

By badwater [242]12/01/2005

When we lived in Kentucky, we always had the deer packaged ready for the freezer. I've never even heard of canning venison before. I'd make roasts in the crockpot, or tenderloins with biscuits. I had people eating our venison that would have had a fit, if they knew they were eating "deer meat". I never had to soak mine like some folks did, I used herbs, spices and seasonings to take away the "game-y" taste. I sure miss not living back there now, to have the venison (& miss my family). It's season there, now!! So far the only one of my relatives to get one, is my Mom. She got a young buck. Best of Luck to all the hunters, out there!!

By Daniel Miller11/30/2005

This is very easy to do. Take some portabello mushrooms and slice and a onion and dice and fresh garlic and parsley. Saute the onions in butter just a tblp or two and when lightly browned add mushrooms and saute hard add garlic and parsley then mix add to that a port wine or any full body red about 1/2 cup. bring to a simmer then add your venison and return to a simmer. Season with a little beef base thicken with either a roux or cornstarch and water your choice. You do not want it super thick. Put over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, rice, puff pastry, baked potatoes what ever you like. You can even add fresh or dried thyme to this and add a little sour cream and use it that way.

By erica11/30/2005

thank you those sound very good. We have a generous supply of venison here in WV. I think we are aloud 3 each this year. And that comes in very handy in the middle of winter. Thanks again

By Cougar Davenport (Guest Post)11/30/2005

About canned venison, I always can it if I am lucky enough to get some. Here is a recipe that I have adapted from my mom's recipe from when I was a little girl. All my kids love it!!
Deer (or elk) meat and rice. Can use any wild game. I even use beef when its cheap
Make a full recipe of rice. I immagine any rice would work but I have always used long grain white rice. Chop about 1/2 (or more) cups of both celery and onion. Saute them in about 2 Tabls. butter. Next add to the veggies, I quart of the canned venison, plus the juices. Let it come to a simmer and season with salt and pepper and at least 1 teaspoon of curry powder. I use more. to this mixture, and simmer. Next I add an additional can of consomme or beef broth. simmer and slightly thicken with cornstarch mixed in water until dissolved. Now add it to the rice, put in a casserole and bake at about 350 for 30 minutes. It is so good. Wish I had some venison right now!!

By Pattie Hartley [1]11/29/2005

My husbands favorite way to eat it is to just cook some macaroni (drain) and mix with cream of mushroom soup and the canned venison. I always season with season salt or what ever I have handy.