New Vinca Plants Are Droopy

I just planted Vinca in pots yesterday, and today they are droopy and curling. I fertilized, and watered. It is cool today, only in the low 50's, the other annuals are just fine. What happened?

Sherrie from Crystal Lake, IL

It may be just transplant shock in which case they will recover quickly. But it may also be from excess fertilizer if the stems themselves are curling. Normally it's best to let transplants adjust first before fertilizing. I'd suggest you give them a couple of days in the cool shade to see if they recover, no additional fertilizer or water. You will know within 2-3 days if they will make it or need to be replaced.

Maybe just a tad wet, if they are the 'vinca rosea'. I know they liked to be in loose well drained soil when transplanted. Also make sure they are not too crowded. The newer hybrids are more susceptible to wilt and rot disease, so if you just planted them yesterday, I might even re pot in dry soil where they can adjust.

Perennial Vinca with Purple Flowers
Growing Perennial Vinca
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 30, 2008
Powdery Mildew on Plants
Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew
Droopy Peace Lily
Droopy Peace Lily
Zombie Boy Climbing Stairs
Making a Plants vs. Zombies Costume
Rooting Plants
Rooting Plants