Getting Rid of Volunteer Trees

Volunteer trees are not always welcome in the yard or garden. This is a guide about getting rid of volunteer trees.

Volunteer Tree
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a lot of "volunteer" trees (oak, pine, pecan, chinaberry, weed trees) in my yard. They are 1 inch - 6 inches in diameter. I want to get them out of my beds. I have cut them back, but need to kill or get the roots up. I have tried to shovel. Any ideas and thanks.

By laidback arcing from Charleston, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some people posted epsom salt and others just have salt. I understand about cutting into the stump and adding but do I water them in around the roots or just put them around the roots and allow nature to do it thing? Thanks for the help!

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know how I can get rid of all these baby oak trees? How do I prevent them from sprouting like this again? Our back yard has lots of oak trees and we love them for the shade, plus we just love trees. But the acorns this year have sprouted like never before.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Ncgardener. Unfortunately my baby oaks aren't in my flower beds. I could handle that better than what I have. Mine are all through my back lawn.

Like you I feed the birds and squirrels and such so don't want to use poisons. But I've got at least 700-1000 of these seedlings literally carpeting my lawn back there. I'm going to have to come up with something soon or I'll be in real trouble with them.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Gardening TreesMarch 26, 2013
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Cottonwood Tree
Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 1, 2016 at 3:15:36 AM on 10.0.0.73 in 306 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.