Anzac Biscuits

This is a biscuit that was named after the Anzacs and is very popular in Australia. A crispy, nutty taste though no nuts. I presume the taste comes from the oats and golden syrup. It's worth a try.

• 1 1/4 cups sifted plain flour
  • 1/2 cup castor sugar
  • 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1 cup Rolled oats
  • 2 Tbsp. golden syrup*
  • 150 grams (2/3 cup) butter, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. water

*Editor's Note: Golden syrup is made from cane sugar and is common in Europe and Australia. It is sweeter than corn syrup. If you can't find it, corn syrup or a combination of corn syrup and molasses, or corn syrup and honey could be used as a substitute.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees C (340 degrees F). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Put oats, sugar, flour and coconut into a large bowl and stir to combine.

Place butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from heat and add the bicarbonate of soda mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons water. Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place them on trays allowing room the spread. Press down on the tops to flatten slightly (I use the back of fork to do this, and it leave a nice marking on the mixture). Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. They will go crisp when they are cool.

Servings: Many
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 12-15 Minutes

Source: Family Recipe

By Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

What is dessicated sugar?

Hi Elaine, Dont know what Dessicated sugar is but I think the recipe says Dessicated Coconut (unless I made mistake and put in the wrong name, if so sorry about that). Hope you give these a try as they are a real favourite with my family and grandchildren. Happy cooking. Take care, Lorraine.

Recipe looks very easy and good. How much is a cup weight in Australia? Same as American cups? I thought Australia was metric and I much prefer metric weights to cup measurements. They are more accurate.

This sounds like a yummy recipe but certainly not what I would call "thrifty". By the time you buy the coconut, golden syrup (we don't use corn syrup) and add the butter you have added up quite a bit of change. Although I will try them as a treat, they wont be a staple in my house unless I find an inexpensive source for the ingredients.

I do`t find the Anzac Biscuit to be too expensive to make as usually these are ingredients that you would find in most Australian cupboards and are used regularly in many recipes. Could replace the Golden Syrup with a mix of Treacle and Honey or just use honey by itself.

CUP MEASUREMENTS: I would say Aust and US cups should be the same.

I always take 1 cup to be 8 ounces. Trust this helps. Hope you Enjoy!

I think that recipes can be thrifty or not, depending on where you live and what ingredients you might have on hand. If you live somewhere that coconut grows, you might always have a surplus. If you live where I live in the Pacific NW, we get great deals on berries, apples and seafood. I remember seeing cheap Lobster Rolls at McDonalds in New England, which is considered a very expensive treat nearly everywhere else.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope anyone who tries it, whether is it as a frugal treat or as a one time extravagance, will share their feedback with the rest of us.

A pile of Anzac biscuits.
Anzac Biscuit Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads BiscuitsJuly 28, 2011
Buttermilk Biscuits
Buttermilk Biscuits Recipes
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
Onion Cheese Biscuits
Onion Cheese Biscuits Recipes
Leftover Biscuits
Uses for Leftover Biscuits