Streak-Free Windows

How can I get streak-free windows? I have tried newspaper and paper towels, nothing seems to work? Help!

By suzeq105 from Carsonville, MI

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I use Stoner "Invisible Glass". It's at Wal-Mart in the auto section. I'll never use anything else. I've used newspaper and paper towels with great results with both.

I use plain old water with a microfiber cloth from the Dollar Store. Don't even have to wipe dry! Just wring the water out of the cloth really well to where it's barely more than damp. Before I found microfiber cloths, I used vinegar and either newspaper or paper towels. A friend of mine has used fabric softener to clean her windows. I haven't tried this but she says this makes the brightest windows and even smells good! Also, be sure you're not washing your windows while the sun is shining directly on them. The heat from the sun dries the cleaner off the glass before you get it wiped!

Hope this helps!

StefPaints in SC

I use water with a bit of vinegar and squeegie followed by microfiber cloth. They shine.

I have used the microfiber towels, I love them, have tons. But if the window has grease or is heavy in dirt, I use a product called "STREAK FREE", it's like the old glass wax, only easier to use, with a lot less white chalk in the cracks. It is an amazing product & works every time. You shake the bottle well, get a wet sponge, and squirt a good amount on, then rub the glass. You can feel when the dirt is no longer stuck, doesn't take much rubbing. Sometimes you have to get more water for the sponge, but you keep doing it and let it dry, doesn't take long. Wipe it with a clean cotton towel, shake the towel to get rid of the powder.

Paper towels have a small amount of oil in them to make them soft, manufacturing technique. I no longer use them, think of the poor trees being used for cleaning up stuff. I use microfiber rags & towels for almost everything. Oh, for cleaning cloths, don't use fabric softener, that is an oil product. Also wash, rinse & dry those items.

Back in the day, I used to work for a cleaning company. We needed to clean thoroughly and quickly. The quickest and easiest way is to use windshield wiper fluid to spray on. Then wipe with paper towel horizontallya couple of times, flip the paper towel over and wipe vertically. This will give a streak free cleaning without a lot of effort.

I have found that "Streek Free" cloths work great. They are a little pricy if you only buy a couple, but work well. check out on Google.

I would certainly try the cloths from the dollar store suggested by StefPaints, and hope they work like the Streek Free ones. I originally got tham from flea market in Florida, but then sent for a case of them. Get back to me, and I will sell you a couple

I use a bucket of water and about a cup of vinegar or ammonia. Put this on with black and white newspaper and then get another dry piece of newspaper and wipe it off. Do not use the colored newspaper.

This works great. I wash my windows with a solution of cornstarch and water. I scrub the windows with a microfiber cloth dipped in the cornstarch mixture and wrung out well. Then with another dry, clean microfiber cloth I dry the window until shiny clean and streak free. It works like magic. Best thing I've ever found. I use approximately 1/4 cup to a half bucket of water.

The easiest thing to do with no mixing. Is to use the spray can window cleaner and a sqeegie. That works. Try it you will not regret it!

When you look at new cars on the lot, the windows are always so shiny and clean so I asked a young man who did auto detailing what he uses to make them so shiny. He told me he uses a product called, Invisible Glass. You can buy it an Wal-Mart in the Auto section for $3.00-$4.00. I use it in the vehicles and on all my door glass and mirrors. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning GlassJune 18, 2009
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 3:03:59 PM on 10.0.2.76 in 912 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.