Blueberry Cobbler

A sweet gentleman from my sister's church in Louisiana made huckleberry tarts for my mother, sister, niece and me when we visited his home. He made them in the short time it took us to admire his beautiful home, out of berries he had picked that morning in his front yard. They tasted fabulous.

After returning home to Ohio, I took his basic recipe and created this cobbler. Since I don't have huckleberries growing in my yard, I use blueberries from the grocery, which I have been getting at an insanely good price lately. It is quick, easy and delicious. I often put the fruit on to cook slowly as I'm beginning dinner. By the time we're done eating, we have a hot and sweet finish to the meal. We usually have dessert only on Sabbath, but since I've started making this, we have dessert more often. I've eaten more blueberries in the four months since my visit than I had in the previous 35 years, quite literally.

• 6 cups blueberries (or huckleberries)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 4 Tbs cornstarch mixed with 4 Tbs cold water
  • 3 tubes of packaged crescent rolls

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. In a saucepan, cook together the fruit and sugar. You may need to add a small amount of water (no more than 1/4 cup).

While the berries are cooking, open two tubes of crescent rolls and layer them, without taking them apart, in the pan. This covers the entire bottom as well as the sides of the pan.

When berries have burst and are jam-like and the apple is well cooked, bring the mixture to a low boil and add the cornstarch slurry while stirring constantly. When mixture thickens, remove from heat. Pour fruit into the pan. Open the last tube of crescents and place on top, either as a solid floating crust or in triangles. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden.

It is excellent by itself, with whipped cream, ice cream or even some milk poured over it. The filling is rather runny, which I suppose you could correct by adding more cornstarch. So far, it hasn't bothered us much, because it just tastes so good! I didn't have an actual recipe to start with, just what he told us he did, which he himself didn't have a recipe for! This is why I unfortunately do not have a cook time for the fruit. I just cook it until it looks right.

By Heather from Clarksburg, OH

Sounds delicious can't wait to try making it. Also sounds quick and easy. Will definitely try making it.

Sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Blueberry Cobbler
Blueberry Cobbler Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts CobblersAugust 21, 2009
Square of peach cobbler on a plate with whipped cream on the side.
Peach Cobbler Recipes
Blueberry Pie
Blueberry Pie Recipes
Bowl of berry cobbler with fresh raspberries and blackberries on top.
Raspberry Cobbler Recipes
Blueberry Pudding
Blueberry Pudding Recipes
🎄
🍂