Sparky (Silver Tabby)

Our silver tabby, Sparky, is huge, weighing in at 18 pounds at a little over one year in age. He was a foundling, literally left on our doorstep during a huge thunderstorm. Poor little guy. He was so tiny and underfed, and he still has some growing to do, but he's definitely a permanent part of the family now.

Sparky is a medium-haired cat and just hates those baby-sized cat brushes so I fixed him up good: Now I just SWEEP him clean!

I bought a full-sized, nylon soft-bristled broom just for him. I 'sweep' him as he lays on the floor, first one side then the other, and then down his back. Then he'll roll over, stretch out and let me sweep his big ol' belly - with purring that sounds like a freight train coming through the house...

Plenty of fur flies but it's easily caught on the broom since I spray it with Static-Cling first. Sparky loves it; he thinks he is getting the best petting session of his whole life!

However, I'm really saving my sinuses and furniture from all that cat fur (ok, ok, I must admit - I also love doing it for him, too!)

Living in Alaska means cats get ultrathick winter coats and they shed nearly year round since it stays rather chilly here, even in summer. But comfort is relative: you can always add more clothing to stay warm, there are only so many ways to stay cool, without going nekkid!

In our family, 'sweeping the cat out' has a completely different meaning now!

What a glorious fur coat!

Good thing you came up with the sweeping method.

I love your story about Sparky. Mine are all strays and each have a story. I have enough cat fur to stuff pillows, but I try and keep after it. This is their home and we don't mind a bit. Sparky is beautiful. My yellow Thomas cat weighs 27#. and he is a big softie. All our animals are so wonderful, they give so much to our lives. They don't care how we look, smell, or what color we are, they just want love and kindness and a protected surroundings.

He is gorgeous! That is so funny about how you brush him, tho. I can tell that he is one spoiled boy. Give him a swipe for me, too.

Hi, I sure enjoyed your kitty and I like the sweeping idea, too! I'm going to try that on my cat, too. Phoebe is from the animal shelter and is an American short-haired tabby. She looks like the 2nd picture of your cat only she has more gold than gray in her. She is from the animal shelter in Iowa and is 3 years old.

Hi Sparky, you're gorgeous!

BEAUTIFUL MARKINGS, FUR AND EYES. His expression shows how well you take care of him and how content he is. Caution: M A N Y spray cans have FORMALDEHYDE as their propellant in them. It is the EXACT THING DEAD FOLKS ARE EMBALMED WITH and DEADLY POISON, so check with the mfg. before spraying too much of it around the house and

cat. It could get you both, but certainly the cat FIRST.

What a funny and unique idea of "sweeping the cat".

If Sparky were mine, I'd LOVE him to death FIRST!

LOL.

God's many blessings to you.

Being an owner of a long haired (Persian) cat this is a wonderful idea, I will try it as Jacks hair is so hard to keep up with and his Groomers Bill every 3 months can be right hefty on our budget. So we eat vegetables for one meal without meat...Jack is worth it to us, this pair of disabled seniors!

Thank you for all the wonderful comments! And thanks for the tip about the spray - I WILL check the stuff that I use to catch the stray hairs, and make sure it's safe - you just can't ever assume these days.

There is a this new thing that I saw on TV recently: It's a long long hose, that attaches to any vacuum cleaner, that is kept nearly four rooms away! The long long LONG hose keeps the noise of the machine itself far away so it doesn't scare the kitty. I think I'm going to check it out unless someone else already has and found it to be bunk. Let us know!

In any event, nothing will ever entirely replace sweeping the cat. Sparky will now go pull the broom down - BAM! That's my cue to come sweep him! Smart, handsome, and loveable - what else could I ask for in a cat? A gorgeous co-owner with lots of money? Teehee!

Again, thanks for the comments (Sparky says thanks too - he is chortling to beat the band while keeping my left foot warm as he gnaws on my big right toe - yeeeeOUCH!! Varmit! I think he believes that my bones are his personal favorite treat!

Plus, he has taken to a new trick: Hit & Run. He takes a flying leap at my behind, whacks me in the small of my back, then flies off me and then tears off at 90 MPH to go hide under the bed! I swear, I can SEE the laughter in his eyes as he peeps out from the bedskirt! What a nut! I just adore this cat. The kids have had cats but this one is mine, mine, mine!

I just love Thriftyfun.com - GREAT ideas and experiences! Better than a "who dun it' novel! I have learned SO much on here! THANKS!

Terry Sparky is adorable.

I loved your story and cat just picture Sparky enjoying being swept. Thanks for the chuckle.

If you feel the fabric softener may not be right, try wetting the broom first. Fabric softener will be injested when Sparky gives himself a bath so it probably would be better to use something else.

Tabby Cat
Tabby Breed Information and Photos
Photos Pets CatsAugust 25, 2006
Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Clover the Tabby Cat
Tabby Cat Photos
🎉
🎄