Starch Recipe for Crocheted Items

Certain crochet projects, such as doilies or ornaments, need to be starched to stiffen them upon completion. This is a guide about starch recipe for crocheted items.

November 5, 2003 Flag

I am looking for a recipe on starch, if that is what it is called, I have a crochet hat ornament and I washed it and now I need to stiffen it back up and I can't remember how it was done in the first place. So if you have any idea on how to do this please let me know.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can still buy Faultless starch in the laundry aisle at most Grocery Stores. If you can't find it, or would rather, you can use plain Corn Starch.

In a small pan put about a 1- 1/2 pints of water and start it boiling.

In a small cup use 1 heaping Tbs. of corn starch mixed with COLD water to make a thick, pourable mixture.

As soon as the water starts boiling pour in cornstarch mix as you quickly stir, it will make a cloudy almost gravy like substance, add your wet article to the VERY HOT starch mixture.

Let it sit for a minute then fish it out with tongs or a fork, let it cool then squeeze out excess starch.

Start shaping the article as it is drying.

- The problem with sugar water is it attracts bugs.I was taught to make starch by my grand-mother back in the 40's when almost everything was starched and ironed. I suggested HOT starch because cold starch will make a powdery article when it drys.

Sent in by a Helpful Reader

Best Answer

I am looking for a homemade starch recipe that uses sugar. My mom had the recipe several years ago but lost it. We want to use it to make decorations for a nursing home. Thanks in advance!!

Lin

Best Answer

Hi Lin,

Years ago I used a heavy sugar water like HONTMac describes as a starch for crocheted Christmas ornaments. I still have them and they are still "starched".

Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

Sugar Starch Recipe for doilies

This is the old-fashioned starch used for lacy doilies.

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup granulated sugar

Mix water and sugar in a small pan. Stir the mixture over low heat (do not boil) until clear and not sugary. Remove pan from heat, and let mixture cool.

Wet the collar and cuffs of a blouse or lace doily. Roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and dip it into the mixture. Squeeze out excess starch, then shape the collar and cuffs or doily. Allow to dry and iron on warm setting.

Doilies do not need to be ironed when you use this starch. Just smooth out and shape while wet on a clean flat surface.

The thing I do is when I make a rice (not in a electric rice cooker) in a pan and when the rice is done you strain the water and you can use it on the cloth you want to starch and dry the cloth then iron it.

I need to know the proportions of sugar and water to use to make a solution to stiffen two little girls fairy dresses with layered net underskirts, please. Regards, Helen

Thank you for giving us this great recipe. I was really baffled about where to find good starch for my crocheted projects.

Disaster! Using either sugar or salt was recommended to me , for net petticoats, but when I danced and sweated the whole thing melted and I was left in a horrible sticky mess!

thanks for the recipe. I have to say that I have used the sugar mixture and I can tell you that it does not attract anything. No bugs no ants. I find that sugar works much better on bowls and baskets.

Thank you. I cannot find the dry starch powder anymore and Faultless starch company said that they do not manufacture it any more and only produce the big bottles of liquid starch. I tried that but it did not work well for me. I appreciate you recipe and thank you. I did not even think to use corn starch. I will try it and see what happens. Again, thank you for your advice.

Silverfox. (Yep you got it my hair is silver from the many years of age.)

crochet lace doily on dark wood background
Starching Crocheted Items
Crafts CrochetJanuary 27, 2017
Starched Shirt
Cleaning Starch from Clothing
starched blue dress shirt
Starching Clothing
Corn Starch
Uses for Corn Starch
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 9:45:59 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.