Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Looking for Starch Recipe

I am looking for a recipe on starch, if that is what it is called, I have a crochet hat ornament and I washed it and now I need to stiffen it back up and I can't remember how it was done in the first place. So if you have any idea on how to do this please let me know.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By magicdreamd AT aol.com (Guest Post)11/15/2008

Sugar Starch Recipe for doilies
This is the old-fashioned starch used for lacy doilies.

1/4 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Mix water and sugar in a small pan. Stir the mixture over low heat (do not boil) until clear and not sugary. Remove pan from heat, and let mixture cool.

Wet the collar and cuffs of a blouse or lace doily. Roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and dip it into the mixture. Squeeze out excess starch, then shape the collar and cuffs or doily. Allow to dry and iron on warm setting.

Doilies do not need to be ironed when you use this starch. Just smooth out and shape while wet on a clean flat surface.

By Helen Frost (Guest Post)05/26/2008

I need to know the proportions of sugar and water to use to make a solution to stiffen two little girls fairy dresses with layered net underskirts, please. Regards, Helen

By (Guest Post)06/13/2007

The thing I do is when I make a rice (not in a electric rice cooker) in a pan and when the rice is done you strain the water and you can use it on the cloth you want to starch and dry the cloth then iron it.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]01/18/2005

Hi Lin,
Years ago I used a heavy sugar water like HONTMac describes as a starch for crocheted Christmas ornaments. I still have them and they are still "starched".
Susan from ThriftyFun

By Lin (Guest Post)01/18/2005

I am looking for a homemade starch recipe that uses sugar. My mom had the recipe several years ago but lost it. We want to use it to make decorations for a nursing home. Thanks in advance!!
Lin

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]11/18/2003

You can still buy Faultless starch in the laundry aisle at most Grocery Stores. If you can't find it, or would rather, you can use plain Corn Starch.

In a small pan put about a 1- 1/2 pints of water and start it boiling.

In a small cup use 1 heaping Tbs. of corn starch mixed with COLD water to make a thick, pourable mixture.

As soon as the water starts boiling pour in cornstarch mix as you quickly stir, it will make a cloudy almost gravy like substance, add your wet article to the VERY HOT starch mixture.

Let it sit for a minute then fish it out with tongs or a fork, let it cool then squeeze out excess starch.

Start shaping the article as it is drying.

- The problem with sugar water is it attracts bugs.I was taught to make starch by my grand-mother back in the 40's when almost everything was starched and ironed. I suggested HOT starch because cold starch will make a powdery article when it drys.

Sent in by a Helpful Reader

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]11/12/2003

Mix some corn starch with water and soak the item in it. Let dry
but shape it how you want it before drying. The thicker the solution, the stiffer it will be.

By Tom McCoy11/11/2003

My mother used sugar water. Heavy on the sugar but make sure it is completely disolved. Dip item and spread out on flat surface to dry. Haven't thought about this in years.
Good luck