Make a Trellis Out of an Old Box Spring

By Patrick Dressel 1 2

Gardening is a hobby with my wife and me. As we have a number of Clematis vines the trellises deteriorate. In my recycling travels I came upon a great way to make a trellis. I came by a motel and noticed a discarded box spring by the dumpster. I took it home and took it apart, finding some nice 1x4's and then took a bolt cutter and cut the spring in half and wala. We have 2 great trellises that are now in use. I might add that the clematis and the box springs make great bed fellows.

By Patrick from Mcminnville, TN

Showing: Comments Sort

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

If it's made of steal, I bet it will look even better when it rusts! ... Plus it'll add iron to your soil!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Do you have pictures? Would be helpful to see them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hi,

would you have a photo of it?

I am trying to picture it and I can't get a good image.

Thanks a lot and have a great holiday season,

Andrea

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Now that's recycling.

Liz

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Great idea! I did the same thing with an old headboard...but ACCIDENTALLY. A large Carolina Star Jasmine Vine had overgrown and had been braced up well, so we thought, by a painter of our house. I had intended to set the old but still good heavy wooden headboard out for garbage pick up on another day, so I leaned it up on the two weaking pipes hammered into the ground tied together with long nylon rope, in hopes that it would keep the Vine more like a bush when pruned. It worked for a single season and I began trying to get the pipes straight beneath it, noticing that the old heavily stained with laquer wooden headboard had been leaned at just the right position to begin supporting the posts FOREVER as they leaned together...AND hold the Vine, combined to make a sort of hidden low trellis which the Vine loves and blooms it's healthy heart out each year now. A true "secret Flower B E D! lol I'll keep watch for an old bed spring to tackle next time I need one and am in the mood for yet another project!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By A Morris 1 3 Flag

I made a trellis for a climbing jasmine out of a dog crate that I no longer used.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vicki Keong 9 23 Flag

It is a great idea, amazing what some imagination can do to recycle stuff. But puh-leeze...all those bed puns?! Ha Ha Ha!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By littlegamma 7 43 Flag

We really need pictures of this great idea! ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Reuse Chair Back As Trellis in the garden.
Creative Garden Trellis Ideas
Previous
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersDecember 19, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Creative Garden Trellis Ideas
string and branch garden trellis
Making a Garden Trellis
uncovered box spring mattress
Repairing a Box Spring Mattress
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:49:01 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings