Make a Trellis Out of an Old Box Spring

There are so many reusable and repurposable items that can be incorporated into your garden as decorations or as functional items such as a trellis. This guide contains some ideas about how to make a trellis out of an old box spring.

Gardening is a hobby with my wife and me. As we have a number of Clematis vines the trellises deteriorate. In my recycling travels I came upon a great way to make a trellis. I came by a motel and noticed a discarded box spring by the dumpster. I took it home and took it apart, finding some nice 1x4's and then took a bolt cutter and cut the spring in half and wala. We have 2 great trellises that are now in use. I might add that the clematis and the box springs make great bed fellows.

By Patrick from Mcminnville, TN

Top Comment

I made a trellis for a climbing jasmine out of a dog crate that I no longer used.

If it's made of steal, I bet it will look even better when it rusts! ... Plus it'll add iron to your soil!

By Elaine (Guest Post)

Do you have pictures? Would be helpful to see them.

By Andrea (Guest Post)

Hi,
would you have a photo of it?
I am trying to picture it and I can't get a good image.

Thanks a lot and have a great holiday season,
Andrea