Is Diatomaceous Earth Safe to Use Around Children?

How safe is diatomaceous earth to use in the home? I have fleas, but I also have children. I want to put this stuff in my basement, but I'm afraid that my kids will inhale the dust.

By Dankelty from St. Louis

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

From all I can find out, DE is not safe to be inhaled for anyone. I certainly would not use it around children.

I use it on my dogs. Dave Owens, The Garden Guy, highly recommends it for fleas and ticks. He even put some in his mouth on TV to show it is safe. You must use food grade and not pool grade, though. It is sold in home improvement stores, usually in the garden section. I use it on my pets.

Pat in Phoenix

DE safe to swallow, not too good to breathe. Fleas? I would use safe 20 Mule Team Borax. Sprinkle into carpet dry.

DE is safe to use around children and pets. Here is a helpful link that tells more about it: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

As long as they are not snorting it up their noses, it is fine. My friend has used this with her 10 children and they have not had any problems with it.

Answer

Health & Beauty AdviceMay 31, 2010
Earth in Human Hands
Celebrating Earth Day
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Buying Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Uses for Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 12, 2016 at 1:45:40 PM on 10.0.2.210 in 570 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.