Homemade Facial Scrubs

Facial scrubs are a great way to keep your skin looking nice and young. Store bought scrubs can be expensive though. This is a guide about homemade facial scrubs.

June 16, 2009 Flag

I have tried so many facial scrubs and either they didn't work or they were too expensive. Does anyone out their have a simple recipe for a facial scrub? One with not too many ingredients. Thanks.

By annie bee from Del City, OK

Best Answer

Buy the cheapest rough scratchy terrycloth washcloths you can find, put any kind of soap or cleanser on them, and scrub away. Terrycloth is gentler than loofah and is reusable over and over and over.

Best Answer

Cetaphil liquid facial soap + baking soda. I use it in the shower and scrub all over my face and neck... smooth and very soft skin afterwards.

Best Answer

January 9, 2016 Flag

I really need a face scrub because before I go to bed I want to feel refreshed and ready for the next day. Does anyone have a DIY face scrub without lemon, grapefruit, lime, or oranges, basically no citrus fruits or veggies? Thanks for all the suggestions. My face is really sensitive so can you suggest face scrubs that are kind to sensitive skin?

Best Answer

The best way to clean your face at night or in the morning is with apple cider vinegar. I have been using this for years and it keeps your face nice, clean, and refreshed. I don't use other products on my face because of the way they feel on my skin. I feel like they either dry my skin out or add too much oil to my skin.

Best Answer

I'm not sensitive to anything so I'm not sure how this will work for you, but I use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I just make a paste and spread it on my face and scrub with my hands or if in the shower with a wash cloth. Smooths and makes my face brighter! I also add some coconut oil every once in a while. I also use coconut oil on my skin - all over. It is NOT greasy if you rub it in well. Good luck!

Best Answer

November 4, 2008 Flag

Baking soda makes a fantastic facial scrub! Just mix around a teaspoon of baking soda with a little dab of mild liquid soap, and a drop or two of water. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with warm water. Your face will be soft and glowing. I used to spend around $25 on micro-dermabrasion scrubs for generally the same result.

By Janet R. from Rossville, GA

Top Comment

Baking soda is also an excellent natural way to remove blackheads.

Top Comment

I do this but instead of soap I use olive oil. Mix enough baking soda and olive oil together to make a thin paste. If you find it is too abrasive just add more oil. I usually do this in the shower before I get my face wet. Just rub on the paste, rinse off the baking soda and then I go about the rest of my shower routine, washing my face with gentle soap at the end to get rid of the oil. Voila! Smooth exfoliated moisturized skin.

August 10, 2011 Flag

Baking soda can be used as a facial scrub for oily skin either alone on a damp washcloth or with a little soap. It leaves skin soft and smooth.

To make a salt or sugar scrub for dry skin, fill a small jar with salt or sugar. Add baby oil or vegetable oil until the salt or sugar is moistened. Massage about a teaspoon of it over your face or other areas with your fingers, then rinse with warm water. Towel off any excess.

For portable face-cleansing, fill a cosmetic jar with large cotton balls or gauze pads. Mix together in equal amounts rubbing alcohol and water. In place of water you can use green tea, a herbal tea made from chamomile or lavender (soothing), or rosemary (refreshing). The alcohol keeps it from spoiling. Add a few drops of baby oil or vegetable oil if your skin is dry. Put enough of this mixture in the jar of cotton to wet it thoroughly. Screw cap on well, so it won't dry out.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville , NY

I use honey and nutmeg for exfoliating my face. I love it, they both are good healing properties and the honey softens the skin as well.

sandeebee, how much if each do you use? Thanks

March 14, 2002 Flag

Just mix 2 parts oats with 2 parts honey and mix it together in a blender. Then massage it into your face and rinse well. It leaves your skin nice and clean feeling. It helps get rid of all the dead skin. About two tablespoons of honey and oats works well for one use.

September 7, 2014 Flag

Which is good, using salt or sugar, as a facial scrub?

By Vila

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Villa: I swear by equal parts sugar and olive oil. I love the scrubbing affect it gives me and it's soooo cheap. You just need enough to use on your face daily, so I just put a drop of oil about the size of a quarter in my hand, and then enough sugar to mix it up. I hope that helps.

PBP

Best Answer

Well I use half a jar of cheap salt and five table spoons of healing lotion and mix it up til well blend. Since I like my thick I add more salt in til thick. It help me remove dead skin and soften at the same time. Best time to use in a hot streaming shower. Rinse of and their you go ,soft fresh looking skin. It works for me every time! If you decide to add more salt use it twice a week.

July 25, 2012 Flag

How do you make homemade facial scrub?

By Karen from Lakeville, MA

Best Answer

Well, there are tons of recipes here on Thrifty Fun and online for all kind of different facial scrubs. I have used olive oil and sugar mixed to make a body scrub, but it's a little too harsh for the face. I've heard that some people use a finer grain - like baking soda. Other people use oatmeal and honey.

Best Answer

My aunt taught me to soap my face and then use sugar as a scrub. It works.

November 13, 2010 Flag

A doctor on TV gave the ingredients for a facial scrub using sea salt, sugar, olive oil, and lime juice. I have lost the copy I wrote down. Does anyone know of such a facial?

By Linda from Covington, TX

Best Answer

Lime Facial:

Limes are chock full of antioxidants, which help fend off cancer, and the acid in lime juice can help brighten your skin! Use once a week to maintain a healthy glow.

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon brown sugar

½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice

A pinch of sea salt

Combine ingredients in a bowl, apply to face and let sit for 10 minutes. Wash off with warm water and voila! Your face will be exfoliated, moisturized and brightened all at once!

Here you go. It was on the Doctors show, and I went to the website and got it for you.

Cindy

Best Answer

Another great pampering for your hands is:

Just enough table salt in your hand (about half a teaspoon) and add enough Sweet almond oil to make the mixture moist.

Rub your hands with the mixture as though you are washing them, then rinse off the mixture.

The salt (some people use fine sugar) will exfoliate & help the oil seep into your skin.

Rinse off under the tap.

This is also lovely on your feet, etc. The sea salt may be a little too harsh on your face, but caster sugar is finer and will still do the same job, just without the harshness, as the salt or sugar is actually 'cutting' your skin. Very quick and easy.

September 8, 2012 Flag

If you use baby oil in a facial scrub recipe, won't your face be oily from the baby oil?

By Bob

Best Answer

Maybe other people do it differently but I exfoliate, then cleanse and then use a toner so I don't see how your face could be oily after that. Even if you cleanse first and then exfoliate by using a toner as the last step would remove any excess oil.

February 6, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about oatmeal facial scrubs. A homemade facial can save you money and leave your skin feeling wonderful.

Preparing Oatmeal Facial Scrubs

August 18, 2011 Flag

This page contains recipes for homemade sugar scrubs. Sugar works as a great base for an exfoliator. Exfoliation is an important step to keeping your skin looking young and vibrant.

A sugar scrub with sugar near it.

June 16, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for a homemade facial skin exfoliant?

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FacialsSeptember 7, 2011
Homemade Body Scrub
Homemade Body Scrub Recipes
Homemade Exfoliator
Homemade Exfoliator Recipes
Homemade Hand Scrub
Homemade Hand Scrub Recipes
A sugar scrub with sugar near it.
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes
🎉
🎄