Homemade Facial Scrubs

Facial scrubs are a great way to keep your skin looking nice and young. Store bought scrubs can be expensive though. This is a guide about homemade facial scrubs.

Salt and Herbs in Wooden Bowls
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I really need a face scrub because before I go to bed I want to feel refreshed and ready for the next day. Does anyone have a DIY face scrub without lemon, grapefruit, lime, or oranges, basically no citrus fruits or veggies? Thanks for all the suggestions. My face is really sensitive so can you suggest face scrubs that are kind to sensitive skin?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just use baking soda. It exfoliates but it's not real abrasive. I do that often and I also use coconut on my face as well as my whole body.

Read More Answers...

Baking soda can be used as a facial scrub for oily skin either alone on a damp washcloth or with a little soap. It leaves skin soft and smooth.

To make a salt or sugar scrub for dry skin, fill a small jar with salt or sugar. Add baby oil or vegetable oil until the salt or sugar is moistened. Massage about a teaspoon of it over your face or other areas with your fingers, then rinse with warm water. Towel off any excess.

For portable face-cleansing, fill a cosmetic jar with large cotton balls or gauze pads. Mix together in equal amounts rubbing alcohol and water. In place of water you can use green tea, a herbal tea made from chamomile or lavender (soothing), or rosemary (refreshing). The alcohol keeps it from spoiling. Add a few drops of baby oil or vegetable oil if your skin is dry. Put enough of this mixture in the jar of cotton to wet it thoroughly. Screw cap on well, so it won't dry out.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville , NY

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I decided to try a brown sugar scrub, what a treat! I didn't think I would like it and I am glad I tried it.

Mix 1 cup brown sugar with half cup olive oil,and mix well. Your skin will be so soft. Used on your face followed with lemon juice, you will see an improvement in your skin within a week.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

I know most of you have heard of sugar scrubs as a facial, so I thought I would try a homemade version. I put about a tablespoon of sugar in my hand and add any lotion on top of it, then rub it onto my face and neck for about a minute or as long as you like. Rinse well. My face and neck feel so soft and looks smoother.

By stronium from Grayson, KY

I have tried so many facial scrubs and either they didn't work or they were too expensive. Does anyone out their have a simple recipe for a facial scrub? One with not too many ingredients. Thanks.

By annie bee from Del City, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Scrubbing your face every night with baby shampoo will clean oily skin and help get rid of blackheads.

Read More Answers...

Baking soda makes a fantastic facial scrub! Just mix around a teaspoon of baking soda with a little dab of mild liquid soap, and a drop or two of water. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with warm water. Your face will be soft and glowing. I used to spend around $25 on micro-dermabrasion scrubs for generally the same result.

By Janet R. from Rossville, GA

Instead of paying for expensive facial dermabrasion scrubs, I use fine granulated sugar! Pour your usual amount of your favorite facial cleanser into the palm of your hand, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar, rub hands together, then wash/scrub your face gently.

Which is good, using salt or sugar, as a facial scrub?

By Vila

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Villa: I swear by equal parts sugar and olive oil. I love the scrubbing affect it gives me and it's soooo cheap. You just need enough to use on your face daily, so I just put a drop of oil about the size of a quarter in my hand, and then enough sugar to mix it up. I hope that helps.

PBP

For a good clean face, dip a cotton ball into olive oil and a bit of white sugar.

How do you make homemade facial scrub?

By Karen from Lakeville, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My aunt taught me to soap my face and then use sugar as a scrub. It works.

Read More Answers...

Just mix 2 parts oats with 2 parts honey and mix it together in a blender. Then massage it into your face and rinse well. It leaves your skin nice and clean feeling. It helps get rid of all the dead skin. About two tablespoons of honey and oats works well for one use.

A doctor on TV gave the ingredients for a facial scrub using sea salt, sugar, olive oil, and lime juice. I have lost the copy I wrote down. Does anyone know of such a facial?

By Linda from Covington, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another great pampering for your hands is:

Just enough table salt in your hand (about half a teaspoon) and add enough Sweet almond oil to make the mixture moist.

Rub your hands with the mixture as though you are washing them, then rinse off the mixture.

The salt (some people use fine sugar) will exfoliate & help the oil seep into your skin.

Rinse off under the tap.

This is also lovely on your feet, etc. The sea salt may be a little too harsh on your face, but caster sugar is finer and will still do the same job, just without the harshness, as the salt or sugar is actually 'cutting' your skin. Very quick and easy.

Read More Answers...

If you use baby oil in a facial scrub recipe, won't your face be oily from the baby oil?

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Maybe other people do it differently but I exfoliate, then cleanse and then use a toner so I don't see how your face could be oily after that. Even if you cleanse first and then exfoliate by using a toner as the last step would remove any excess oil.

I want to make homemade body and facial scrubs to give out as favors, to my baby shower party I am hosting. Any recipes out there?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A great recipe I made for a body scrub works really well and softens the skin. You will need: salt, sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil or olive oil and food color, optional.

Mix all the ingredients together, dye it a color like pink or blue( the sex of the baby pink for a girl blue for a boy if you know if not just do a mixture of both)

A cute way to put them in something is empty baby food jars, get "its a boy! or its a girl! ribbon (if you do not know the sex do both) tie the ribbon around the jar (like a christmas present) OPTIONAL: tie a pink or blue lollipop into the bow

Please email me if you use this: pumkinpieeee34 AT yahoo.com

Hope I helped!

Read More Answers...

Make your own sugar scrub with brown sugar and baby oil. These household items are almost always around!

Papaya skins make brilliant complexion softeners (like a fruit-acid peel). When you've scooped out the flesh, rub the inside of the skin on your face and leave for two minutes or so. Rinse off, and your face will feel as smooth as a baby's.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a recipe for a homemade facial skin exfoliant?

By susan012 from Liverpool, UK

Homemade Facial Scrubs

A great exfoliant is sugar, seriously. Just mix it in with your cleaner. You can use it on your face or any other part of your body. I use it on my bikini line to prevent in-grown hairs. It works great and is gentle enough to use anywhere and it's very cheap. (06/09/2009)

By Elwoodsc

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Yogurt Face Mask

• 1 tsp. natural yogurt (not non-fat or low fat)
    • 1 tsp. runny honey (heat up hard honey to smooth up)

Mix together, apply to the face, let it set for 15 minutes then wash off with warm, soft water.
    (06/11/2009)

By jenthehen77

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Do not use sugar, if candida is an issue, it will get worse or start a problem. You can use salt or ground up oatmeal as a scrub, then use a 10% solution of white vinegar as an astringent. It's a mild alphy-hydroxy and helps to peel off dead skin. You may see your skin peeling as time goes on, then when you wash, it gets rid of it. (06/11/2009)

By CT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to make a facial scrub similar to St. Ives. Their scrub is too coarse for my skin, I need something with smaller grit. What can I use? I have heard of using ground almond shell. Is this okay, what else is there to use? I like to make mine up enough to use for a month or so at a time. Please help.

Judith from Lincoln City, OR

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I read in my magazine that this helps your face:
    -1 Egg White
    -1 TBS Honey
    -1-3 TBS Finely Chopped Oats

Whisk the egg white and honey together in a bowl, then add a TBS of finely chopped oats until it forms a paste. If it is still runny, then add more oats. Relax for 10 minutes, then wash off. (12/13/2008)

By Shydragonfly

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Baking soda is great for clearing up blackheads. Rinse your face with warm water and then apply the baking soda mixed with some water to make a paste. Leave on for a few minutes and then rinse off. The oat scrub someone else posted is excellent. And if you want something just a little stronger, add a touch of cornmeal. I often just use a little corn meal mixed in my palm with some of my regular face wash. (12/14/2008)

By Lynn

Homemade Facial Scrubs

You might like Burt's Bees products. It's organic and it really helps black/white heads, and dried skin. There are masks too. It's great and really works! (12/14/2008)

By aschlee

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Ground shells actually have sharp edges, and although you cannot see the damage without a strong magnifying glass, it will be there. More natural products, such a salt and sugar, work well. If you want to buy a product instead of making it, my favorite is Avon Clearskin Cleansing Scrub. It invigorates the skin, smells strongly of peppermint (yum!), and I really notice that my skin is much smoother after using it. (12/28/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Well, I am an Esthetician so I'm a pretty good expert on this problem. Don't use scrubs that contain oats, nuts, or anything that could be jagged and damage your skin. Baking soda and water is really good and you could use it more often because it's not rough. I would suggest not to exfoliate more than 2x/wk. If you have oily skin, this could make it worse because your skin is having to overcompensate for the "loss" of oil, therefore producing more. A mild exfoliate such as baking soda or salt would do just fine. (12/30/2008)

By Alicia

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I have tried this face wash, toner, and moisturizer kit called AcneFree. I tried it once at night, and in the morning, my face looked SO much better. I used it twice a day (once in the morning, once at night) and in a week, my face looked incredible. Problem is, stop using it, and your face could get worse than it was before. But once it's cleared, use it once a day, once every other day, and your face will look fantastic. It could make your face dry out, so I recommend using a moisturizer or a homemade honey-oat mask after you use it. Hope it helps! :D (01/05/2009)

By Lo

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I have a few questions? I tried the honey and sugar home made scrub, is it like a face mask, or do you just scrub your face with it? Also for the ingredients that have olive oil, are you aloud to use vegetable oil as well? (01/06/2009)

By Tishiaa

Homemade Facial Scrubs

If you are having really bad acne, please look into the possibility of food allergies and intestinal candida (yeast). A good naturopathic doctor can help you find out more about what to do for these conditions. Many people have food allergies and don't even know it because they're symptoms are skin related (i.e. eczema, rashes, and acne). Acne drugs will only put a band-aid on the problem and create a better environment for yeast to grow in your intestines. My acne has been much better since going off wheat, it's totally worth it. (02/06/2009)

By Jays Bunny

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Reply to Judith from Lincoln City, OR:
    From a reliable source in the dermatological field, the use of any type of seed or pit product, no matter how finely ground, actually scratches the skin surface and should not be used. St. Ives Peach and Apricot scrubs were 2 examples of exfoliates to avoid, even if advertised for "sensitive" skin. Your surface skin is still being scratched. Just a bit of info I heard from a dermatologist worth passing along. (03/09/2009)

By LuannD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A friend and I were having a conversation on problems teens have with their skin. She said one of her school classmates made a facial scrub with table salt and water.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for some homemade facial scrub recipes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FacialsSeptember 7, 2011
    woman with nice skin
    Making and Storing Homemade Facial Peels
    Homemade Body Scrub
    Homemade Body Scrub Recipes
    Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
    Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
    Preparing Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
    Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 15, 2016 at 4:02:32 PM on 10.0.2.104 in 430 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.