Homemade Facial Scrubs

Facial scrubs are a great way to keep your skin looking nice and young. Store bought scrubs can be expensive though. This is a guide about homemade facial scrubs.

August 10, 2011 Flag

Baking soda can be used as a facial scrub for oily skin either alone on a damp washcloth or with a little soap. It leaves skin soft and smooth.

To make a salt or sugar scrub for dry skin, fill a small jar with salt or sugar. Add baby oil or vegetable oil until the salt or sugar is moistened. Massage about a teaspoon of it over your face or other areas with your fingers, then rinse with warm water. Towel off any excess.

For portable face-cleansing, fill a cosmetic jar with large cotton balls or gauze pads. Mix together in equal amounts rubbing alcohol and water. In place of water you can use green tea, a herbal tea made from chamomile or lavender (soothing), or rosemary (refreshing). The alcohol keeps it from spoiling. Add a few drops of baby oil or vegetable oil if your skin is dry. Put enough of this mixture in the jar of cotton to wet it thoroughly. Screw cap on well, so it won't dry out.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville , NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use honey and nutmeg for exfoliating my face. I love it, they both are good healing properties and the honey softens the skin as well.

March 14, 2002 Flag

Just mix 2 parts oats with 2 parts honey and mix it together in a blender. Then massage it into your face and rinse well. It leaves your skin nice and clean feeling. It helps get rid of all the dead skin. About two tablespoons of honey and oats works well for one use.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I am into skincare using kitchen supplies and it states there is nothing better for skin than oats and honey so natural so yes I totally agree with you. Thanks for sharing. Helen x

January 6, 2017 Flag

A woman using a sea salt facial scrub.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a sea salt facial scrub. The combination of salt and oil create a wonderful exfoliating and moisturizing scrub.

January 6, 2017 Flag

A bowl of baking soda.

This is a guide about using baking soda as a facial scrub. Make a simple and effective facial scrub with baking soda.

February 6, 2014 Flag

Preparing Oatmeal Facial Scrubs

This is a guide about oatmeal facial scrubs. A homemade facial can save you money and leave your skin feeling wonderful.

August 18, 2011 Flag

A sugar scrub with sugar near it.

This page contains recipes for homemade sugar scrubs. Sugar works as a great base for an exfoliator. Exfoliation is an important step to keeping your skin looking young and vibrant.

June 16, 2009 Flag

I have tried so many facial scrubs and either they didn't work or they were too expensive. Does anyone out their have a simple recipe for a facial scrub? One with not too many ingredients. Thanks.

By annie bee from Del City, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Make a paste of baking soda, oats/oatmeal, water and cinnamon optional for pleasant scent. Scrub your face with this. Not too many ingredients, not too expensive. Dab some lemon juice on a cotton ball for a nice refreshing toner afterward.

Moisturize as usual.

Best Answer

Buy the cheapest rough scratchy terrycloth washcloths you can find, put any kind of soap or cleanser on them, and scrub away. Terrycloth is gentler than loofah and is reusable over and over and over.

Best Answer

Cetaphil liquid facial soap + baking soda. I use it in the shower and scrub all over my face and neck... smooth and very soft skin afterwards.

January 9, 2016 Flag

I really need a face scrub because before I go to bed I want to feel refreshed and ready for the next day. Does anyone have a DIY face scrub without lemon, grapefruit, lime, or oranges, basically no citrus fruits or veggies? Thanks for all the suggestions. My face is really sensitive so can you suggest face scrubs that are kind to sensitive skin?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The best way to clean your face at night or in the morning is with apple cider vinegar. I have been using this for years and it keeps your face nice, clean, and refreshed. I don't use other products on my face because of the way they feel on my skin. I feel like they either dry my skin out or add too much oil to my skin.

Best Answer

I'm not sensitive to anything so I'm not sure how this will work for you, but I use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I just make a paste and spread it on my face and scrub with my hands or if in the shower with a wash cloth. Smooths and makes my face brighter! I also add some coconut oil every once in a while. I also use coconut oil on my skin - all over. It is NOT greasy if you rub it in well. Good luck!

Best Answer

Just use baking soda. It exfoliates but it's not real abrasive. I do that often and I also use coconut on my face as well as my whole body.

September 7, 2014 Flag

Which is good, using salt or sugar, as a facial scrub?

By Vila

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Villa: I swear by equal parts sugar and olive oil. I love the scrubbing affect it gives me and it's soooo cheap. You just need enough to use on your face daily, so I just put a drop of oil about the size of a quarter in my hand, and then enough sugar to mix it up. I hope that helps.

PBP

Best Answer

Well I use half a jar of cheap salt and five table spoons of healing lotion and mix it up til well blend. Since I like my thick I add more salt in til thick. It help me remove dead skin and soften at the same time. Best time to use in a hot streaming shower. Rinse of and their you go ,soft fresh looking skin. It works for me every time! If you decide to add more salt use it twice a week.

July 25, 2012 Flag

How do you make homemade facial scrub?

By Karen from Lakeville, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Well, there are tons of recipes here on Thrifty Fun and online for all kind of different facial scrubs. I have used olive oil and sugar mixed to make a body scrub, but it's a little too harsh for the face. I've heard that some people use a finer grain - like baking soda. Other people use oatmeal and honey.

Best Answer

My aunt taught me to soap my face and then use sugar as a scrub. It works.

September 8, 2012 Flag

If you use baby oil in a facial scrub recipe, won't your face be oily from the baby oil?

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Maybe other people do it differently but I exfoliate, then cleanse and then use a toner so I don't see how your face could be oily after that. Even if you cleanse first and then exfoliate by using a toner as the last step would remove any excess oil.

June 16, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for a homemade facial skin exfoliant?

By susan012 from Liverpool, UK

Answers:

Homemade Facial Scrubs

A great exfoliant is sugar, seriously. Just mix it in with your cleaner. You can use it on your face or any other part of your body. I use it on my bikini line to prevent in-grown hairs. It works great and is gentle enough to use anywhere and it's very cheap. (06/09/2009)

By Elwoodsc

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Yogurt Face Mask

• 1 tsp. natural yogurt (not non-fat or low fat)
  • 1 tsp. runny honey (heat up hard honey to smooth up)

Mix together, apply to the face, let it set for 15 minutes then wash off with warm, soft water.
(06/11/2009)

By jenthehen77

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Do not use sugar, if candida is an issue, it will get worse or start a problem. You can use salt or ground up oatmeal as a scrub, then use a 10% solution of white vinegar as an astringent. It's a mild alphy-hydroxy and helps to peel off dead skin. You may see your skin peeling as time goes on, then when you wash, it gets rid of it. (06/11/2009)

By CT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 9, 2009 Flag

I would like to make a facial scrub similar to St. Ives. Their scrub is too coarse for my skin, I need something with smaller grit. What can I use? I have heard of using ground almond shell. Is this okay, what else is there to use? I like to make mine up enough to use for a month or so at a time. Please help.

Judith from Lincoln City, OR

Answers:

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I read in my magazine that this helps your face:
-1 Egg White
-1 TBS Honey
-1-3 TBS Finely Chopped Oats

Whisk the egg white and honey together in a bowl, then add a TBS of finely chopped oats until it forms a paste. If it is still runny, then add more oats. Relax for 10 minutes, then wash off. (12/13/2008)

By Shydragonfly

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Baking soda is great for clearing up blackheads. Rinse your face with warm water and then apply the baking soda mixed with some water to make a paste. Leave on for a few minutes and then rinse off. The oat scrub someone else posted is excellent. And if you want something just a little stronger, add a touch of cornmeal. I often just use a little corn meal mixed in my palm with some of my regular face wash. (12/14/2008)

By Lynn

Homemade Facial Scrubs

You might like Burt's Bees products. It's organic and it really helps black/white heads, and dried skin. There are masks too. It's great and really works! (12/14/2008)

By aschlee

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Ground shells actually have sharp edges, and although you cannot see the damage without a strong magnifying glass, it will be there. More natural products, such a salt and sugar, work well. If you want to buy a product instead of making it, my favorite is Avon Clearskin Cleansing Scrub. It invigorates the skin, smells strongly of peppermint (yum!), and I really notice that my skin is much smoother after using it. (12/28/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Well, I am an Esthetician so I'm a pretty good expert on this problem. Don't use scrubs that contain oats, nuts, or anything that could be jagged and damage your skin. Baking soda and water is really good and you could use it more often because it's not rough. I would suggest not to exfoliate more than 2x/wk. If you have oily skin, this could make it worse because your skin is having to overcompensate for the "loss" of oil, therefore producing more. A mild exfoliate such as baking soda or salt would do just fine. (12/30/2008)

By Alicia

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I have tried this face wash, toner, and moisturizer kit called AcneFree. I tried it once at night, and in the morning, my face looked SO much better. I used it twice a day (once in the morning, once at night) and in a week, my face looked incredible. Problem is, stop using it, and your face could get worse than it was before. But once it's cleared, use it once a day, once every other day, and your face will look fantastic. It could make your face dry out, so I recommend using a moisturizer or a homemade honey-oat mask after you use it. Hope it helps! :D (01/05/2009)

By Lo

Homemade Facial Scrubs

If you are having really bad acne, please look into the possibility of food allergies and intestinal candida (yeast). A good naturopathic doctor can help you find out more about what to do for these conditions. Many people have food allergies and don't even know it because they're symptoms are skin related (i.e. eczema, rashes, and acne). Acne drugs will only put a band-aid on the problem and create a better environment for yeast to grow in your intestines. My acne has been much better since going off wheat, it's totally worth it. (02/06/2009)

By Jays Bunny

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Reply to Judith from Lincoln City, OR:
From a reliable source in the dermatological field, the use of any type of seed or pit product, no matter how finely ground, actually scratches the skin surface and should not be used. St. Ives Peach and Apricot scrubs were 2 examples of exfoliates to avoid, even if advertised for "sensitive" skin. Your surface skin is still being scratched. Just a bit of info I heard from a dermatologist worth passing along. (03/09/2009)

By LuannD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 11, 2008 Flag

A friend and I were having a conversation on problems teens have with their skin. She said one of her school classmates made a facial scrub with table salt and water. It was inexpensive and gave her smooth, acne free skin.

By Terri from NV

Answers:

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I tried a lot of things and I mean a lot. I even tried pro active and it did not work for me. What I am using right now is giving me quick results and it's natural also.

1) Mix 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with 1 teaspoon of honey. Leave the mask on for 20 minutes then wash off with luke warm water. Do this 4 times a week.

2) Then wash clean face with baking soda. Mix some baking soda with a bit of water till it makes a paste like form and rub for 3 minutes. Wash off with luke warm water. Do this 2 times, 1 in the morning and the other at night.

I have been doing this for 4 days now, and it is giving me great results. My face looks better, of course I still have some acne but it is going away. Keep doing this and it will help your face a lot. (12/09/2008)

By karen

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Baking soda and water are really great for black heads, especially in the ears.
(12/10/2008)

By Cassandra Connecticut

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 28, 2008 Flag

I am looking for some homemade facial scrub recipes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FacialsSeptember 7, 2011
Homemade Body Scrub
Homemade Body Scrub Recipes
A woman using a sea salt facial scrub.
Making a Sea Salt Facial Scrub
Homemade Hand Scrub
Homemade Hand Scrub Recipes
Preparing Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 27, 2017 at 10:11:29 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.