Removing Plastic from Stove Burner Rings

I had a plastic bag on the electric stove and I accidentally turned on the wrong burner. Now, I have bits of melted plastic on one of the electric rings. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and it won't come off. Please help!

Kate from Melbourne

That has never happened to me, but if it did I would be tempted to take a straight-edged razor and carefully scrape away at the burnt-on plastic. I wonder if the remnants that are left could just be burned off by running the burner for a while (with a ventilator fan on, of course).

Have you tried using steel wool and Comet or Ajax?

That's a tough stain to get rid of, what I did, and it worked pretty well, was to get the burner hot as heck and use a full sized wire brush to clean the burner, I won't say that it will take all os it out but it sure got rid of a lot of the stain.

How about a new burner ring?

I did the same thing and tried almost everything to get it off with out much luck. It accidently slid into a sink full of soapy water with the dishes. I didn't notice it until I was almost finished. When I found it, the plastic was gone. I put it back in the receptical, after letting it dry for a couple of days and it worked fine. I wouldn't suggest dropping it in the sink, but you could try standing it up in a pan of hot soapy water and letting it sit until the water cools. Making sure you keep the element dry. It worked for me and it wouldn't hurt to try it.

HEAT THE STOVE RING AND WIPE WITH A THICK HEAVY DAMP RAG ONCE IT IS HOT IT SHOULD WIPE RIGHT OFF