Hanging a Heavy Mirror

How do I hang a heavy, oval mirror? I have found a beautiful oval mirror with a wide beveled edge. I want to hang it above fireplace and have it tilt down slightly. Any suggestions on best way? It's heavy! Thanks.

Susan from Scottsville, VA

I have a very heavy oval mirror in my house and it's hung with a wire going from side to side. The wire is loose so the mirror hangs out from the wall a little which is what it sounds like you want. You can tighten the wire to make it more snug to the wall if you want. My husband screwed some tiny I bolts to the sides of the frame and used picture wire.

Be sure to find the wall studs to hang the mirror from so it doesn't rip out of the wall. The wire is a good idea, be sure to pick the mirror up by the wire first, making sure it is still close to something soft like a bed or couch cushion to make sure the wire will hold the mirror.

Try those new hooks called Hercules or maybe you can try Command hooks. You can find them both at Home Depot.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceNovember 26, 2008
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Clothing hanging by clothes pins.
Buying Heavy Duty Clothes Pins
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains