Fan-Fold Butterflies

Spring is here! I will be submitting different "buggy" crafts that my daughter and I worked on for her birthday party. This butterfly is made from paper that she painted. It is then fan-folded and attached together with pipe cleaner antennas. Cute and simple!

Approximate Time:

• Paper
  • Paint
  • Paint brushes
  • Scissors
  • Black pipe cleaners
  • Glue

Paint (or color) a colorful creation on paper. Cover all space on the paper.

Cut out squares of paper, such as 5x5 inches, 9x 9 inches, or whatever size you want. If you use larger paper. you may get several out of one sheet. If you use small paper, you may need to paint more than one piece of paper.

You will need two squares for each butterfly. It looks nice if the bottom square is smaller than the top square.

Fan-fold each square starting at the corner and working diagonally. Once the whole square is fan-folded, fold the strip of paper in half.

Line up the two folded strips of paper for each butterfly so that it makes an "X" and attach together with a black pipe cleaner. Shape the pipe cleaner to look like antenna.

Spead out the fan-folded wings and cut to desired shape (optional). Glue the edges where the two squares meet together. I used clothespins to hold these together until they dried.

Enjoy your beautiful butterflies! I attached a string to ours and hung them from the ceiling. Fan-Fold Butterflies

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

Fan-Fold Butterflies

This are beautiful! I can't wait to make these with my granddaughter! Thank you!

Butterfly Crafts for Kids
Butterfly Crafts for Kids
Crafts Crafts For KidsApril 25, 2009
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Monarch butterfly on orange flower.
Attracting Butterflies
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan